Sunday, October 11, 2015

This and That

My how they've grown!
These are the green onions I've been trying to regrow! So far it's working really well! If you're interested in trying this, just save the last inch or so of the root of a green onion, and set it in water. Nit enough to cover the whole thing, but enough to cover the root. I'm not sure how many times it will regrow, but I will definitely give updates as I learn. I'm super impressed that these onions are growing, as I am cursed with a very black thumb. No joke, a friend got me a chia herb garden once, and I killed every single herb, and it was a chia pet type situation! Growing up, we had plants every where in our house. Like it was almost creepy how many plants we had, all different types. And we had a vegetable garden, and at one point we had a house with three greenhouses on the property, and my mom took full advantage! But for me, I am the slaughterer of all things green. So this is a pretty big thang to have regrown some green onions! Woot woot!
This book by Brittany Gibbons is really making me smile lately, and some days that is a very hard feat! I have to admit I am not a regular reader of her blog/website. My blog reading is 98% vegan related, with a measly two percent dedicated to celebrity gossip. I know it's bad, but we all have our guilty pleasures. I'm trying to wean myself off, but it's a process. Anyway, this book was recommended by Dana of  Vanishing Veggie, and boy was it a good recommendation! It's a memoir and I have been able to relate to so many things in this book. She is brutally honest in the most hilarious way! She's really brave when it comes to telling stories of the very awkward teen and pre-teen years. Ever since I've noticed all of the food and body shaming that goes on in some vegan circles, I'm feeling more and more drawn to body advocates, and people who aren't perfect, just trying to live the best life they can. Great read!
Strawberry  orange juice!
I had a few frozen strawberries in my freezer that needed to be used, and a little bit of orange juice, so I decided to make my own version of the Strawberry C Monster juice from Odwalla. I think that's what it was called, it's been like five hundred years since I've had an Odwalla, but I remember that used to be one of my favorites. This was really good, who knew strawberries and oranges love each other so much! I've been trying to up my vitamin c intake since we are slowly moving into sniffle season.
Wish me luck, I'm getting my hair cut today. I don't cut my hair very often, to be honest going to salons gives me anxiety like crazy. I don't like making small talk with strangers, and it seems like every stylist I've ever gone to likes to chat. And I also have had tons of experiences where they cut off more than I asked them to. But my hair is way too long, and it's driving me insane! This is my usual cycle, get hair cut, cry because they cut off too much.. Wait one month for your hair to grow to the perfect length you wanted. Proceed to let hair continue to grow until it is out of control, procrastinate some more because of previously mentioned anxiety, and finally take a deep breath and go for it. I have some interviews this week, and I want to look my best, so wish me a lot of luck!
Do you have a hair stylist you trust, or does going to the salon cause you anxiety?

12 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about Fat Girl Walking on Militant Baker, a body positivity blog. I think it is a great movement, especially as you mentioned, there can be some fat phobia in the vegan community. Heck, everyone assumes vegans are thin, but that isn't true.

    I think we are hair cut buddies. I cut my hair like once every 1-2 years. I think this is the longest I've gone without cutting my hair. I remember getting bangs before.... and there are no hints of bangs left on my head. XD But I found a cool new vegan hair salon in my state, so I will feature it on my blog to get the motivation to chop off my hair! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out Militant Bake, thanks! I have had people tell me they are surprised I'm vegan, because i'm not thin like other vegans they know! And in the vegan community there is a lot of body and food judgment, and I find it really sad!
    That's so cool to be able to go to a vegan hair salon! Good luck when you go. I always think you should feel better about yourself when you leave a salon, and for me that rarely happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually blessed- there are TWO vegan hair salons "near" me. I mean I have to drive pretty far for them, but whatever. One is a punk salon in Philly, and the other I haven't been to yet. The punk salon is pretty nice, I went with my friend and she helped distract the hair dressers! So little haircut survival tip there. Plus, the "punk" hairdressers seemed to have more in common with us anyways. And there was a cat there. I only found out about it from a coworker, so ask around. You never know what is there.

      Delete
    2. That sounds amazing! I remember years ago I went to Rudy's barbershop which is kind of a punk hair shop, and it was awesome because they blared music so loud it was impossible to have small talk! I have to believe I can find at least one person in Seattle who I can trust! If not, maybe I'll just go the Crystal Gayle route!

      Delete
  3. Your green onion growth is looking great! And I would LOVE a glass of that juice! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I can't believe I'm growing something, even if they are doing all of the work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep Green Onions in a glass with about a quarter inch of water. Just snip off what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping to just keep snipping and regrowing! Saving money is saving money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw that book mentioned somewhere else recently, I will have to check it out. I am with you on the hairdresser anxiety. Mine comes from a really bad childhood experience in my early teens when a hairdresser butchered my hair and people actually thought I was a boy afterwards! I only go a couple of times a year and dye it myself at home. I have found a couple of nice stylists in the last few years though and my current one is not a big talker so thankfully it's become a much better experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds awful! That's the problem with bad haircuts, once the damage is done, there's not much that can be done. That does sound nice to have a regular person, and especially one who doesn't talk/gossip a lot!

    ReplyDelete