Monday, October 27, 2014

Smoked Gouda for us Too?

Did anyone else hear the amazing news? I read yesterday on Vegansaurus that Daiya is now making a smoked gouda block!!! I believe it will be available next month at Whole Foods. I don't know if it's all Whole Foods, or limited, but how freaking great is that? Smoked gouda was absolutely one of my favorites and I have missed it. And some of the fancier vegan cheeses are just WAY out of my price range. Even daiya is not something that I can buy all the time, but I can at least have it as a treat every once in awhile without having to take out a second mortgage on my imaginary house! I think it's amazing how many options are out there, that tells me that people are eating dairy cheese less and less. Or I should say dairy in general, because plant milks are on the rise as well. It seems like every time I am at the grocery, there is a new brand of plant milk on the shelves. Choices are always good, and that is so good for the animals. And who knows, if someone is diagnosed as lactose intolerant, and they find a non dairy milk, and a non dairy cheese, they might be open to trying a veggie burger, or dog at some point, which could lead to meatless Monday, and so and so forth. When I first went vegan, there was no daiya, and the first vegan cheese I tried, I'm not going to mention the name, because I know that some people do like this brand, and any vegan company deserves respect in my opinion, however this nameless brand is not my fave, and I just assumed cheesy, creamy goodness was a thing of yesteryear. So we have come so far, and we have so many choices, and I even feel like we are the butt of way less jokes. We still have so far to go, but once again I see this amazing news as progress!
I think when I first find the smoked gouda, I'm going to try it in some mac and cheese. I remember seeing a recipe for a very non-vegan smoked gouda mac and cheese that looked so good, lucky me that I will get to try to recreate it myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment