Friday, October 10, 2014

Organic Shaming

Since making the switch to veganism, I have discovered many blogs and YouTube channels that I love, and really have given me great information, recipes, and often a friend in my head. Especially at this point in my life, when I feel more isolated than I ever have in my life. Sometimes when I come home from a night filled with serving crap after crap food, it's a nice reminder that there are other vegans, and other people who care about more in life than drinking, smoking, gossiping, and hunting, followed by church on Sunday, followed by a Wal-Mart spree. That is what inspired me to start , and then restart my own blog, as a way to reach out to that community, and also I feel like just like certain blogs and people have helped me, maybe my words will help someone. Sometime a connection, however small is all someone needs to be pulled out of a funk. And right now this blog is sometimes my safe place to Hulk out and vent.
I have recently had to cut a couple of blogs out of my reading ritual due to the pressure and judgment surrounding organic food. I want to learn from blogs, and I certainly want to be encouraged to do what is best,  but I draw the line at being judged, because unfortunately I am in the minimum wage,(and as a server, way under minimum wage) sector of the pay scale, and in addition to that, I am the human mom to multiple felines who needed a home and food themselves. And I am not alone in my income bracket. And there are many people who are trying to raise a family on minimum wage, or not much above. So, all of a sudden these blogs I'm talking about have become that one friend you have who makes you feel bad about yourself in little passive aggressive ways, but you hold onto the friendship because "overall they're a good person". Well, I'm over it. I am for the first time in my life really treating myself well, and being my own friend, and I am over people attempting to make me feel bad, even if they don't mean it. I think anyone who is taking time out of their day to read vegan blogs, or even just healthy living blogs in general are trying to do what's best for the animals, earth and their bodies, so we don't need to be shamed if we can't afford 13.99 a pound for organic Brussels sprouts. Seriously I was at my local Co-op yesterday, and I really had a mad craving for roasted Brussels sprouts, but what's the point when you can only afford two sprouts?  Oh yeah, it's ridiculous. Two months ago I saw organic watermelons at the same Co-op for 15.99 a melon. I'm sorry but what the hell? Who can afford that? I feel like even if I could afford that, I would never pay 16.00 for a watermelon. I believe in supporting organic farming, but I also support healthy, toxic pesticide free food for everyone. So I won't mention the names of these blogs, because these are only my opinions, but I will say this, read things that make you feel good, and make you feel supported.
This was another unexpected organic rant, brought on by the price of those Brussels, and feeling bad that I couldn't afford them. It feels good to not have to also read how bad and cancerous it is to buy conventional if I want a damn Brussels sprout!

No comments:

Post a Comment