Sunday, July 27, 2014

Grateful for Cheap Eats

One of my favorite new dinners lately has been bibimbap. It's a Korean dish with rice, topped with veggies, and typically some kind of meat, a spicy chili sauce, and sometimes a fried egg. I have seen  bibimbap in restaurants, and there is even a children's book dedicated to it! It is of course beyond easy to veganize,  just by leaving off the egg, and subbing tofu, or really you can just have it with veggies, as I have done many times. It is so delicious, and it is one of those meals that is so flexible you can use whatever veggies you have on hand. You can also use different techniques. You can sauté the vegetables, or leave them raw. For me what makes it awesome is the sauce. My favorite bibimbap sauce is just two tablespoons of sriracha, one tablespoon of sesame oil, one tablespoon of agave, and a few splashes of soy sauce or tamari. However, there are a ton of different versions online, so experiment it's fun! I love this dish because it's quick, cheap, and so easy to switch up and not get bored. It also fits in nicely with my Raw till Four plan, and you can really make this a veg heavy meal.
Now onto gratitude. 1) I'm grateful for the fresh smell in the air from the rain this morning. 2) I'm grateful for all the tasty vegan food that is available. 3) I'm grateful that veganism is being taken more seriously, and seems to be on the rise.
One more little thing about bibimbap is that it is also delicious with the sriracha mayo sauce I talked about the other day. Like I said it's so easy to play with this meal and keep it exciting, which is important when you are eating on a budget. I also think this would be a wonderful dish to serve to non-vegans, just make sure you use veggies that they like of course!
Have a groovy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment