Monday, December 9, 2019

Rainy Day Food and Books

Carrots, potatoes,avocado,cuties,garbanzo bean flour,protein powder,jalapeno, clearance all purpose seasoning
I popped in to Sprouts for a few things on Saturday. Just a few basics to tide me over until I get paid. This haul was nine dollars and some change, so I can't complain at all! I appreciate Sprouts for always selling really, really affordable produce. I wish Sprouts stores existed everywhere, so that more people could actually afford fresh fruits and vegetables.
The library is near Sprouts so I stopped in and picked up my books I had on hold. Trying to heal my thyroid on my own has been daunting, and I feel like I'm not doing enough so hopefully I can learn more. And Jennifer Weiner is one of my favorite authors. I have read all of her books, most more than once. At one point in my life I owned all of her books. So I'm excited to read her essays, should be hilarious!!
Please excuse the trash in the background. Ha! This is my first glass of my just brewed strawberry lemonade kombucha! I'm really, really happy with the results.It's sweet but not too sweet, and it has a great strawberry lemonade flavor.
It has been nothing but grey here in SLC for days, maybe even a week. I've definitely been feeling the blues. I wanted soup yesterday, and for some reason tomato rice soup was all I wanted. So comforting!!! I used this recipe, and it was super easy and tasty. And with the brown rice it was surprisingly hearty and stick to your ribs!




4 comments:

  1. Yay for kombucha! That is super exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Before I moved here (and with that became what I would guess is middle class), I relied heavily on a store called Fiesta in Texas. It was a Mexican market and the produce there was SO CHEAP. There isn't anything comparable here, though fortunately I personally don't have to rely on that sort of thing anymore. Still, I know how hard it was for me here in some really dark seasons financially, when I was intermittently un- or under-employed, and I wish there were more options in this region in general. I once did a post about the place I call the "Polish-Korean Store," though, which is great for inexpensive produce if you use it pretty quickly--it doesn't last that long; I think it's inexpensive because it's not so fresh.

    I'm glad your soup hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked the soup!! :) Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kombucha sounds like it turned out really well! And that soup seems like perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete