Saturday, December 7, 2019

DIY

I've been reading a lot about mac and yease being sold at Whole Foods. Here's where I first read about it. I'm sure for a lot of us longtime vegans mac and yease was what we ate when we first went vegan. Eleven or so years ago when I first went vegan, the cheeses left a lot to be desired, and were expensive so I just didn't even bother. Although vegan cheese has come a long way, unfortunately it's still pretty expensive so good old mac and yease is way more affordable!
This was so easy! I boiled a potato and then blended that with about 1/4 cup cashews, nooch and some garlic and onion powder. I also added a little lemon juice. This was creamy and dreamy and honestly, I didn't even miss cheese. I added some Buffalo hot sauce which took it over the top!!
This was another quick and easy meal I threw together. Baked tofu, black bean rice noodles and some shredded romaine. Lately I've been enjoying tossing my baked tofu with the chili onion crunch from Trader Joe's. This was definitely better than take-out!!
Here is my home brewed kombucha during it's second ferment! I decided to flavor it with strawberry lemonade. I'm hoping it turns out tasting like the strawberry lemonade from humm kombucha. Look at the carbonation at the top of the jug!!! I'm so proud!



3 comments:

  1. I call it "macaroni in a creamy sauce," and you're right--it's affordable and satisfying. You do need a blender and I'm so glad I invested in a good one, because it opened up brand new food horizons. (I previously got by on a small immersion blender, but that doesn't really cut it for getting a smooth cashew cream sauce.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard the term mac and yease until I went to Plum in Seattle and they have a Mac and Yease on their menu. I assumed it was them being funny with a name. I feel like I always saw it as mac and cheese, even when it was with nutritional yeast and carrots and potatoes and what not. Whatever it is called, I am there for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mac and yease sounds great (I hadn't heard the term before, haha), and the tofu noodle bowl looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete