Tuesday, December 29, 2020

New Year, New Glu

 After over three long years of eating gluten free, I have decided to slowly add some wheat back into my life. I've never had a problem with gluten, but about three and a half years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and it seemed that gluten always came up as the top food to avoid. I follow a few people who have hypothyroidism and they all avoid gluten too. 

Since gluten never bothered me in the first place, I never noticed a difference once I cut it out. I didn't feel lighter, more energetic, or any other wonderful side effects I've heard other people speak of when they give up gluten. And it certainly hasn't helped with weight loss. So, it's been frustrating. 

I did a little research, and for every article saying avoid gluten, there is an article saying to have whole grains. So, I'm going to kind of do a reverse elimination diet. I'm going to experiment with some sprouted wheat bread and other whole grain breads. I'm beyond excited!! If I start feeling a bit off or my clothes feel tight then I'll have to rethink my choice, but for now I am so happy to say good bye to gluten free!!! 

I was going to buy Dave's Killer bread, which even though it's expensive it is still significantly cheaper than gluten free bread. But this is from a local baker and seems to be inspired by Dave's. It was a couple of bucks cheaper,  and I love that it says vegan on the front!


After my smoothie I had some toast and it was THE BEST THING ABOUT 2020!!! One slice had peanut butter and one slice had Miyoko's creamy chive cheese. 


 

 

Last night I made tacos with cilantro rice and seasoned black beans on whole wheat tortillas and they were so divine! I used to not care for WW tortillas, but after three years of GF tortillas, WW for the win!!

I've never felt deprived or like I'm missing out with a vegan diet. Making the transition from vegetarian to vegan was easier than I expected, but I have always felt deprived and frustrated with a gluten free diet. The very second I decided to let myself have bread again, well let's just say it was like a two thousand pound weight had been lifted off of my shoulder. I started thinking about so many soups I can make with crackers and crusty bread, and lentil sloppy Joe's on a real bun!!

 



6 comments:

  1. And when they have great sales on vegan mock meats that contain gluten - you're all in! Enjoy, dude. That's what life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! I hope you get to have gluten. I know just what you mean. I'm not deprived as a vegan but the thought of giving up gluten would make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the best gluten-free products can't compare to the real thing. I hope it goes well for you- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just catching up here, but I love the idea of a reverse elimination diet, and I am soooooo happy for you. And bread! It's missed you! <3

    ReplyDelete