Thursday, November 12, 2015

Mid to Late Week Munchies!!

I was going to make an awesome recipe last night, and write everything down even! But alas, I just lost the inspiration midday. I am still struggling with cooking. When I do get in the kitchen, the small space drives me so crazy that I'm turned off for awhile. I've had small kitchens before and somehow made it work, I guess my desire for cooking  overruled my limited space, but for whatever reason I feel very claustrophobic in my kitchen. So I just had a quick tofu wonton soup, and by wonton I mean the veggie gyoza from Trader Joe's. I simmered some shallot, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno in some veggie stock, and added some baked tofu and the gyoza. It's super hard to find wonton soup with no meat, so this was fun.
I also added kale to the broth. This was delicious and very soothing. When you don't have anyone to give you a hug, make some soup! Too bad the picture is not as lovely. Soup is a toughie for sure. Soup reminds us that it's what is on the inside that matters!
I went to Trader Joe's today and picked up some stuff, just in time for MidWeek Munchies! I went very early when they had just opened, and it was so lovely and calm. Sometimes when Trader Joe's is packed, I have anxiety and find it very difficult to shop.
I cannot get enough of their vanilla cinnamon black tea. I also love their tahini sauce. I want to eat it with a spoon!
Beans beans the magical fruit.......
Their salsa autentica (in the back in the jar) is a really great deal. Under two dollars and it is super tasty.
I love their pizza dough. It's really easy to work with, and all three flavors are vegan. It's a great deal too. And I love their flour tortillas. I don't know if I can ever eat a different brand. Some of the brands readily available have some super weird ingredients that feel toxic and unnecessary to the product.
I also got a bag of holistic care cat food, and a couple of cans of wet food. Also, a not pictured green pepper, and a can of black pepper. All of this stuff was under fifty dollars. And a lot of what I bought was organic. I actually buy almost all organic at Trader Joe's because they don't seem to want to blindly rip people off for organic. In many cases the cost is the same, or only ten to twenty cents more. Anyway, as always I just can't say enough about Trader Joe's!! I really appreciate stores like them, and the Grocery outlet. It's nice that some of us lower on the food chain can still afford organic, and fun vegan treats every now and again.
I don't know when I'm going to make this, but somewhat soon I'm going to play around with a vegan horseradish mac and cheese! In my veg days, I loved loved LOVED horseradish cheddar cheese, and I saw a non vegan recipe for white cheddar mac and cheese and i just knew I had to VEGANIZE IT!!
I put this picture up on my other blog, so if you  read both, excuse the redundancy, but I mean how can you get bored of sweet kitty action??
They just really love cramming two into a space made for one!!





6 comments:

  1. Horseradish mac and cheese! What a genius idea. I bought a jar of mustard with horseradish for 29p the other day. It was a really good make just a bit short dated in one of my local bargain shops. I've been thinking of putting it in mashed potato but I like the sound of using it in a cheesy sauce too. I'm eating tons of soup too at the moment and I know what you mean about it being hard to photograph! Those wontons are lovely. It's hard to find vegan ones here that aren't full of msg even though we have lots of Chinese supermarkets in Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's super frustrating. It seems like a vegan wonton is a simple enough idea! I've only seen them with pork.
    I remember I made horseradish mashed potatoes once and they were soooooo good! I think I might make the mac and cheese tomorrow, so hopefully I will have a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful haul! Excellent! LOVED seeing your finds! I'm craving carrots for some reason :) LOVE the kitty hugs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been craving them too! I guess since you're working on your vision, craving carrots is a good thing!

      Delete
  4. Horse radish mac and cheese? That sounds great! I love the creative ideas you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope to create this dish tomorrow, and have a recipe to share!

      Delete