Thursday, November 5, 2015

Cookies With The Vegan Zombie!

I had a sweeter day than usual yesterday. I usually prefer savory breakfasts, but I had frozen some bananas and I needed o use them before they became freezer burnt. I had always kind of thought you could freeze bananas for a really long time, but I've noticed they shrivel up and become really brown after too long in the freezer. I wasn't in the mood for a smoothie, so I decided to really go old school and make some banana soft serve, or nice cream, or whatever the kids are calling it. I had some cinnamon raisin peanut butter, and it just seemed like a perfect match.
This is just a splash of coconut milk, three or four frozen bananas, and a glug of this peanut butter. the glug was probably about two tablespoons or so. It was really delicious. I forgot how amazing banana ice cream is.
I also wanted to make cookies, and I decided I wanted to make vegan toll house cookies. I mean, who doesn't have toll house memories? I've experimented with a lot of the healthier recipes, you know swapping applesauce, or mashed banana for the oil/earth balance. I've had varying degrees of success, but the texture is always off. When you use applesauce, they come out mush cakier, and not as flat, and they taste okay, but it's not the true toll house experience. Yesterday I wanted real cookies, no applesauce. To be honest, I loathe applesauce. Anyway, I had some whole flax seeds that I needed to grind, and my Ninja would not grind them! It was so weird, after trying every way to grind them, they are still whole seeds, no damage done. I think the blades need to be at the base of the blender to grind seeds. So, I had no other egg replacer, and I was bummed! But, then I thought, what about peanut butter chocolate chip cookies?  And guess who came to my rescue? The Vegan Zombie! I love those guys so much! I remember when I moved to PA., and had been living there for a few months, and I just felt soooooo alone, and out of place, and sick of getting teased for being vegan, I watched a Vegan Zombie video, and I commented, or Emailed them I can't remember. Anyway, the next day when I woke up they had responded, and I felt so not alone in that moment, and admittedly a little star struck that they would respond to me! Ha . Anyway, I enjoy their videos, and every recipe I've followed from them has been a winner! Here is the recipe I used.
C is for cookies!
I didn't change anything about the recipe, and they turned out amazing! They are the perfect amount of peanut butter-y to chocolate chip, and they're the perfect cookie texture. I like my cookies on the softer side, but I feel another minute or two in the oven would satisfy the crunchy cookie lovers. It's getting to be that entertaining part of the year, so if you need a good cookie recipe, I would try this one. It's been a million years since I've had a non vegan peanut butter cookie, but these taste exactly how I remember peanut butter chocolate chip cookies to taste.
Sometimes it's good to just make some damn cookies. I'm talking about full EB, full sugar cookies. Should we eat these every day? Of course not, or at least eat some greens first! Ha. Sometimes a girl just needs a cookie. I feel like the trend of vegan for health is great, because whatever saves animals works for me, but I also think it's caused a lot of food judgment, and I think it's sad. It seems like any vegan who dares to eat something processed, or somewhat unhealthy has to preface it with a whole "I don't typically eat this way", "Eating kale is best" or whatever disclaimer they choose. I'm going to go climb a hill, have a kale salad, and a cookie.

9 comments:

  1. The Vegan Zombie guys are AWESOME! I've met them twice and follow them on IG. I will be emailing them about something soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beyond cool that you've met them. I remember the picture from one of your posts with them. I need to figure out/join Instagram one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have $10 I would recommend getting a coffee grinder. I have one (at the time it was $10) and I use it for grinding flax seeds, chia seeds, oats, and lots more for cooking. It sometimes is even better than a food processor when grinding small amounts of food. It also doesn't take up too much space.

    But the PB cookies look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's totally worth it. Have you ever noticed the difference in price between whole flax seeds and ground? It is huge, so the coffe grinder will pay for itself in no time!

      Delete
  4. I love that Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB. Still gotta make Banana Soft Serve. I take the peels off the Bananas before freezing in a freezer bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, and after about a month or so they get kind of weird. Banana soft serve is a miracle. I like the dark chocolate dreams peanut butter in banana soft serve too. This cinnamon raisin swirl is pretty awesome though!

      Delete
    2. Guess that means I better use my bananas.

      Delete
    3. Yea, I had some bananas in the freezer for a litttle over a month and they looked scary!

      Delete