Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Reality Check

With the brutal murder of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, I just want to remind anyone who is living someplace liberal, and multicultered, that racism to that extant is so alive that it is sickening. I know because I see it every day of my life, and if you would have told me four years ago that in 2014 there were places that you could spew out hate in public, and it is accepted, and the majority agree.
I think that as a vegan, I mostly focus my attention to making the world a better place for animals, and will always be what is most important to me. But I cannot sit back and not say anything about this topic. This boy was UNARMED AND HOLDING HIS HANDS UP IN THE UNIVERSAL SIGN OF SURRENDER! He had his whole life ahead of him, and because of the color of his skin he will not get the chance to grow old. I do agree that this excessive use of insane weapons is a serious issue that needs to be dealt with, but in this particular case lets not confuse the issue, he is not dead for any other reason than the color of his skin.
I feel very strongly that those of us who are not racist, no matter what the color of our skin need to be speaking up and letting people with this mentality know that this is not accepted. The cop who did this is on PAID LEAVE. As far as I am concerned this is a murder case. There are no excuses, but it is going to get a political spin, and we as a nation will have already moved on.
We really can't move on. It is 2014 and white people are still using the n word, and African Americans are being murdered by policemen who are sworn in to protect and serve.
Please believe me when I say that although it is 2014, there is still so much work to be done to end racism. At least with Donald Sterling that was appalling, but he was just a racist rich old man. When cops are racist, people are getting murdered, or getting away with murder as in the case of George Zimmerman.
To end on a lighter note, although Robin the kitten is still scared of me, almost all hissing has stopped, and for the most part, it's all one happy feline family. I couldn't be more proud, and I think we humans have a lot of nerve thinking we are smarter or better than animals. And we are no where near as kind.
Have an open hearted kind day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment