Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Catching Up On Some Stuff


I'm still fighting off the last of this cold so smoothies have been a huge part of my diet over the last week. And my back pain still pops up here and there so I've been adding frozen cherries to my smoothies.
Some of my smoothies are greener than others! This winter has been very mild here in SLC so gulping down smoothies hasn't been an issue like in winter past.
I also made a big batch of lentil and gluten free orzo soup to have for breakfast/lunch. I seasoned the soup with Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and fennel seed. Even though my sense of smell and taste aren't 100% yet, I know this is delicious because I've made at least two million versions of lentil soup! Lentils are like that old fuzzy sweater that you can never part with.
Last night I finally heated up some gardein black bean burgers, I love them so much. I like meatier veggie burgers sometimes, but I find the longer I'm vegan the more I like veggie heavy burgers. Like I have no desire to try the beyond or impossible burger. Anyway the gardein black bean burgers are a little meaty, but heavy on the corn and beans, and they're one of gardein's only gluten free options. I had them with tots and sriracha Just Mayo. My eyes were bigger than my stomach and I couldn't eat all the tots.
I wanted to give a little update on my goal of less waste. The biggest thing I've been able to cut back on is paper towels. I bought those reusable kitchen cloths from Trader Joe's and I use those for cleaning, wiping spills etc. and it's made a huge difference. I'm actually embarrassed to see how many paper towels I used to use. I'm nowhere near zero waste, but I'm working on it and the reusable cloths are just such a little step that is making a huge difference.
Happy Valentine's day from these little love muffins. I'm so happy I got this picture of them. Etta is notorious for moving as soon as I try to get a picture!






6 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling a little better! Love those Gardein burgers. I'm all about the meaty patties (but a veggie one is good too sometimes)! I WISH I could stop using paper towels. I go through an insane amount, but sadly, with so 6 cats and a dog, I don't know how to wean off them. My cats are all old and have accidents outside the box often (real talk — one cat, Pandora, intentionally pees outside the box always). So they're definitely useful there. Are the TJ's cloths okay for dusting? I have so much cat hair that smears around when I use reusable cloths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the meaty burgers too, but the new burgers that are super meaty and even look kind of bloody scare me!
      I use the reusable cloths more for like cleaning counters and the bathroom. They definitely aren't the best for dusting. I totally understand about the cat hair, I live in it! Ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I hope that you are feeling better! It looks like you've been doing everything you can to treat yourself with nutrition and everything looks delicious. I bet the soup was comforting.

    I've noticed the same thing about paper towels! I will have to look for those cloths the next time I am at trader joe's because it is something that I think about all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally feeling a little better. This cold really likes to hang on though!
      I still use paper towels, it's just that by using the cloths for cleaning counters and wiping spills/messes I use so much less paper towels. It's been really eye opening to be honest!

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you got to enjoy the Gardein burgers, sounds like your taste is coming back a bit? I would have 10/10 helped you finish off the rest of those potato gems. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those smoothies look awesome...so do the EATS!

    ReplyDelete