Friday, February 2, 2018

All Kinds of Vegan and Gluten Free Treats

I had a craving for quesadillas last night and so I made some pinto beans and brown rice and stirred them with a little cilantro and dice jalapeno. I also made another batch of potato queso because I just can't get enough!
The Food for Life brown rice tortillas do break very easily. They kind of just split in half which worked for a quesadilla, but would be frustrating for burritos. They crisped up nicely when I cooked them in a pan with some coconut oil. This was a really tasty dinner. I had all but forgotten about quesadillas! I added a little miso paste and tahimi to this batch of queso and it is my best batch yet!
I had the rest of my oatmeal stash and the last of the chocolate chips staring at me all day from the pantry, so I decided to make another batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. This time I wrote down what I did!


                                          Gluten Free Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Before you start mixing, preheat your oven to 350 F, stick your jar of coconut oil in a bowl of warm water to soften, and make three flax eggs to get all eggy. Three tablespoon of flaxmeal, six tablespoon water.

  • 2 C Oat Flour
  • 11/2 C. Oatmeal
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 11/4 C Chocolate Chips
  • 3 T. Flaxmeal plus 6 T. Water
  • 1 1/4 C. Brown Sugar 
  • 1 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 C. Plus 3 T. Coconut Oil warmed and softenedCombine the oat flour, oatmeal, salt and chocolate chips in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, coconut oil and vanilla. Stir until it's a creamy, almost liquid-y brown mess. I believe this is called creamed. Add the wet to the dry along with the flax egg an stir until you have a thick cookie dough. I made my cookies using a tablespoon. I got thirty five cookies out of this recipe, but I did eat some dough. I also baked them for eleven minutes which was perfect in my oven.

I just took this picture of my flowers that I got for twenty nine cents TWO WEEKS AGO!! They are not only still alive, they are still looking fresh!





5 comments:

  1. Your queso looks so authentic it's amazing!! Those quesadillas look incredible, I'm definitely jealous. Thanks for the cookie recipe! I've been craving cookies big time and this is a perfect recipe to have on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The queso is so so good, I'm totally addicted! It's my favorite vegan queso that I've tried so far!
      I felt so nervous posting the cookie recipe because I am no baker, and it's so simple but that's what is kind of nice about it.

      Delete
  2. How are those flowers still going? MAGIC!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are those beautiful flowers again- thanks for reposting them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved seeing the flowers after 2 weeks! They look great! Wonderful shopping finds, too! WOW!

    ReplyDelete