Saturday, February 18, 2017

Spicy BBQ Cauliflower Wings!!

I've been wanting to make cauliflower wings for awhile, and last night I finally got around to it! I made spicy BBQ wings, and I made kind of a "buttermilk" batter. They turned out delicious! I actually wrote down everything I did. As a non planner, I do see the benefits of being organized and thinking ahead, it's just not in my DNA! I served these with some vegan slaw I made with a little ACV and Hampton Creek's Just Caesar. Really delicious, I highly recommend!

                                                           Spicy BBQ Cauliflower Wings
  • 1 C. Flour of choice
  • 1 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 C. Plant Milk of choice
  • pinch of cayenne
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 small to medium head of cauliflower, or half of a large head cut into smallish pieces
  • Spicy BBQ Sauce
  • 1/2 C. BBQ sauce 
  • 1/2 C. Favorite Hot Sauce
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together the ACV and plant milk while you cut the cauliflower into "wings". Whisk together the flour, cayenne and salt and pepper. Once the cauliflower is cut, combine the milk and flour until you have a pretty thick batter. You want it to be thicker than pancake batter so it really sticks to the cauliflower. Once all the pieces are coated, place them on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees for thirty to thirty five minutes, flipping around about halfway through. After thirty minutes, reduce heat to 350, and coat the cauliflower in your spicy BBQ sauce. You should have a little leftover sauce, save that for drizzling after they're done. Put the cauliflower back in the oven for another fifteen to twenty minutes. Take out of the oven and drizzle with the remaining sauce. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, I used Hampton Creek's Just Ranch because it is just the best!
It's so funny how much I loved these. When I was a kid, the fights my mom and I had over cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus are forever burned in my brain. As an adult I have never been able to eat cauliflower. But if you batter it and coat it with sauce, no problem!
It's rare for Joan to be caught in the middle of a cat cuddle. She's Miss Independent, and usually is off to the side of any serious cuddle action. She must have known I needed a cute snap for CATURDAY!!!
I wanted to mention one last thing before I sign off, Susan from Kittens Gone Lentil is having a terrible time. Her beautiful cat Sahara lost her battle with cancer. So, she could use all the love and support we can send her way. I think we all understand the pain and devastation. I  shed some tears because I feel like I knew Sahara through Susan's blog. I know she could use love and support, especially to balance out all the dumb ass things people say when you lose a fur baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment