Friday, February 17, 2017

So Vegan Cheese-y!

I decided to try and make a delicious, creamy cheese sauce yesterday with veggies only. This is pretty much the cheese sauce from Buzzfeed that was so popular a year or two ago, but I made a few changes. The first change being this sauce is nut free. I didn't have cashews or any nuts or seeds. I also used a real garlic clove in addition to a little garlic powder. And I upped the nooch factor. I really don't think this sauce needs the cashews to be honest. It's so thick and creamy on it's own.
I dipped some chunky oven fries spiced with smoked paprika in the sauce and it was such a delicious meal!! You could add jalapenos for a more nacho flavor, really you can season it however you'd like!
It was an impulsive decision to make this, so of course I didn't write everything down, but I know what I added for the most part so here you go!
                                          
                                                      Nut Free Vegan Cheese Sauce
  • 1 Medium Russet Potato peeled and chopped
  • 1 Large Carrot chopped
  • 1/2 Large onion chopped
  • 1 Large garlic clove
  • 1/4 to 1/2 C. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Add the potato, carrot, onion and garlic to a sauce pan, add enough water to cover the veggies with about two inches over the veggies. Add a little salt and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium and cook till everything is tender. About twenty to thirty minutes. Add the veggies and cooking water to your blender along with the nooch, garlic powder and salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy. Try not to eat it all with a spoon, or eat it with a spoon, I won't judge! I added a little crushed red pepper after blending to add a little kick. I see myself making this  A LOT! It is so cheese-like it's kind of hard to believe it's all veggies. And the texture is very cheese-y! I plan on making this over and over, and definitely playing around with different spices. It's kind of hard to believe it's fat free too!
My two sunbathing beauties, Kanye and Joan grabbing that sunbeam! The second after I got this picture they started rough housing to get the best spot, so this was the calm before the storm!
Happy Friday!




2 comments:

  1. Yay, thanks for the recipe!! It looks amazing, I can't wait to try it! Love Kanye and Joan <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love the idea of a veggie-based cheese sauce. I guess I missed that BuzzFeed version! Must try!

    ReplyDelete