Friday, June 16, 2017

Simple Pleasures

So I went yesterday and spent my remaining fifteen dollars for the week. I was near Harmon's and although they are much pricier than Trader Joe's and Smith's, I just didn't feel like taking an extra bus so I dealt with it. I still did pretty okay, and since the challenge ends tomorrow, (Saturday) it wasn't too hard.
Potatoes, bulk spices, bananas,tomato paste, garlic,tapatio,strawberries,bulk lentils,bulk brown rice,red potatoes,lime
Ice cream treat on sale for one dollar!!
I was actually a little under budget and Harmon's had live kombucha on sale so I treated myself. I had been having a stressful day so I needed a treat.
I will be doing this challenge again this week. To be honest it really isn't a challenge for me since this is pretty much my budget most of the time. Sprouts is having an amazing seventy two hour sale starting today so I'm going to definitely take advantage. I think it's important to acknowledge and appreciate privilege whenever you have it, and I know that it's so much easier to eat on thirty dollars a week when it's just me. A lot of people have to feed whole families on that. I also have the luxury of being able to shop at Trader Joe's and Sprouts. It is much harder to shop for healthy vegan food at regular groceries. I wouldn't have been able to have the amount of produce I had from other stores.
Here are some meals I had Wednesday and Thursday, and also my breakfast this morning. I had something other than kitchari!
Avocado and tofu sushi burrito

Cajun spiced oven fries with Chipotle Just Mayo and ketchup. Amazing combo!
This morning I made a huge batch of my favorite tomato-y nooch-y lentil and brown rice soup. With potatoes of course. Now I have soup for the next few days of breakfast. Dried fennel seed is the secret ingredient to this soup. Yum.
My girls are living their best possible lives right now. My landlord is a bit of a hands off lady, she doesn't like to fix things, but she finally had someone come and replace all the screens that have been missing from the tenants windows. I had three screens missing, and one was ripped. When I moved in I noticed that they were super duper old and very flimsy flamsy, and all ended up falling out. So now with brand new screens my little ladies can get fresh air and they couldn't be more excited!! The birds and squirrels have been very active so the timing is perfect!
Here's Afro with her little floof hanging over the sill! She has a perfect curvy, girlish figure!!
I hope we all have a day filled with Joy from simple pleasures just like these girls!
I'll be back with my Sprouts budget haul this weekend. It's going to be another delicious budget week!



14 comments:

  1. You always find THE BEST DEALS! Ice cream sandwich for $1! All that stuff for $15! I wish I could get better about my grocery spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a real spidey sense when it comes to a deal, that's for sure!!

      Delete
  2. All the kitties on the window... I am the heart eye emoji looking at that!! I could never live somewhere that didn't have screens on the windows for the cats (also so I could get some fresh air without letting them out!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hardest during the spring when the air is really crisp and fresh. The girls are just so happy which makes me so happy!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your budget week went well & you still got to treat yourself! That's great that the screens have been replaced; the kitties seem quite happy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great to be able to have a kombucha. Definitely a treat when you're on a tight budget!
      The kitties have been living the dream these past few days. It's been really great!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that the screens got taken care of! I know it was bothering you and will definitely be helpful in the summer. I am glad the kitties are enjoying it as well!

    SImple pleasures indeed! I'm all about that ice cream sandwich and the kombucha. I love treats like that. Your haul looks great and as always the meals look lovely.

    Just as a side note: I started How To Murder Your Life yesterday and I could not put it down! I think I'm already halfway through it! It's so sad but also really fascinating and incredibly well written. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took screens for granted for way too long! It's been so awesome getting fresh air and the girls are seriously loving life!
      It was so great having a kombucha! The ice cream sandwich was pretty good too, especially for a dollar!
      I am so, so glad you love the book!I read it so quickly, I couldn't stop! I really love how it's written too. I really hope she writes more books!

      Delete
    2. I did love the book. It brought up A LOT of feels though.

      Delete
    3. I hear you there. For me too, some good, some bad.

      Delete
  5. Awww, your cats are so cute in the window! One of mine likes to sit in the kitchen window and watch the squirrels and birds at the bird feeders. A few weeks ago I was saying that I was going to try Chao cold with my favorite crackers and tomatoes. I did today and it was so good! You should try it soon. I missed cheese for that one reason the most and now I can enjoy it again. Thank you for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so cute when they watch birds and squirrels. especially when they chatter at them. I definitely need to try Chao with crackers and tomatoes. It's probably my favorite vegan cheese to be honest. I'm so glad you tried it cold!

      Delete
  6. The photo of the trio of cats made my day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, awesome! It's been making my day too seeing them so happy!

      Delete