Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sassy, Saucy Burritos

I often have meals with rice, and or beans as the star. I have to rely on fresh herbs, and veg to spruce it up, and I have also learned that a good sauce/condiment can really make things fancy. I had a meal so basic, yet so fancy last night I have to share! I had some red beans and brown rice already cooked, some tortillas in the fridge ( a fridge staple for sure) and the butt end of a jar of salsa. Smothered burritos for the win! It's really the sauce that makes this one of my favorite meals. I soaked about 3/4 of a cup of raw cashews, and blended with the last of a jar of salsa. If I had to guess, I would say I used about 1/4 cup salsa. I added 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, a few pinches smoked paprika, a few dashes of hot sauce, a pinch of cumin, salt, pepper, and blend. I make this sauce often, if you want to serve it like a dip, serve it on the thicker side. I thinned mine out with water,  to the consistency of a creamy sauce. Then, just roll up some burritos, pour a little sauce on the bottom of a glass baking dish, put the burritos on the sauce, and then smother the burritos in the rest of this yummy sauce, cover with foil, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You can add any vegetables you like to the burritos, you can layer the tortillas and filling with your fave vegan cheese lasagna style, you can use this sauce for a spicy vegan mac and cheese. I have done all of those things with this sauce, and they are all my favorite. I've made just a bowl with rice and beans, and drizzled this sauce over, and it made that simple meal much less boring. It keeps in the fridge for five or six days, and it does thicken when it cools. The burritos are a great cook ahead meal, and they reheat well, and like most casserole type of dishes, these taste great the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment