Monday, June 4, 2018

Win Some Lose Some

I wouldn't call my attempt at making my version of Lantana's carrot sriracha hummus a total failure, but it wasn't a success either. I added too much carrot. You can't taste the carrot in Lantana's version. It has the sweetness without the flavor. I ha a certain amount I was going to add, and I second guessed myself and added more. I was worried about the color of the hummus. I wanted to make sure it was that gorgeous orange color. Mine is definitely more orange and definitely tastes like carrots. it's still edible, just not what I wanted. I'll have to keep trying. My version kind of matches the skin tone of the Cheeto in chief!
Yesterday afternoon I went to the school next door to my apartment an sat in the sun while I leafed through some cookbooks. I've been feeling kind of trapped and uninspired lately so I thought maybe I could spark something in myself. The grass was so soft and the sun felt so nice. I feel very grateful to live next to a school. When the kids aren't there the yard is up for grabs. I haven't always had that option. I've mostly live in concrete jungles. It's nice not having to pack a bag, hop on a bus and commute somewhere just to be able to sit in some grass and read. I did dogear a few recipes, and I'm getting groceries tomorrow so hopefully that's a start!
I had some cauliflower gnocchi floating around in my freezer and some white beans that didn't make it in my hummus so I put those two together with some garlic basil marinara and baked tofu and had an amazing dinner! I actually was able to get much more of a brown on mine this time, they actually looked like the package. It was kind of a shame to smother them in sauce.Almost. If you didn't know these were cauliflower, you wouldn't know these were cauliflower!
Joan isn't exactly camera shy, but she isn't an aspiring model either. But yesterday she was sleeping all cute, and she noticed I was sneaking up on her to get a pic and she started really kind of shimmying around to make sure she was extra cute!! Hello cinnamon belly!


6 comments:

  1. Some sunshine and grass can be very cathartic and soothing! Sometimes just one or two new recipes can kickstart a new direction and make cooking exciting again. Does the Lantana hummus have tumeric or achiote paste in it? Either would contribute to the color even if they used a very small amount of carrot. Sounds like you mastered the cauli gnocchi!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cathartic!
      I'll have to check the ingredients of the Lantana hummus.
      I have mastere the cauliflower gnocchi. I really love it. Especially because it's so fast and easy and no funky ingredients.

      Delete
  2. Awww cute pic of Joan!!! I'm sure with a few tweaks that hummus will be perfect! The cauliflower gnocchi looks amazing! I like the little heart in the hummus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to tweak it, but I will master the carrot sriracha hummus!!
      The gnocchi is amazing, I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  3. Joan is such a cutie! I'm glad you were able to have some relaxing time enjoying the sun and grass! Looking forward to seeing the new cookbook recipes you're hoping to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is super cute with her cinnamon belly! I forgot to get ingredients for my dogeared recipes, but I will next week.

      Delete