Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Good and Evil

I finally found the new GT's summer edition kombucha! It's cherry, coconut and lemongrass and it is AHMAZING! I think it's my favorite of all their summer editions. And how beautiful is the bottle? The coconut seems to smooth out a lot of the vinegar-y flavor and it's just really fruity and mellow. Sometimes GT's can have a little too much bite but not this one!
So two weeks ago I got some tofu at Sprouts and about two days after buying it the package poofed up like this. No big deal, flukes happen, I exchange it for a different package. Well, yesterday I had two packages in my fridge, one had poofed up like this, and the other had not. So I took the package that hadn't poofed up, opened it to press it and it was smelly and slimier than I ever knew tofu could be. Also as soon as I touched it it totally crumbled. I'm gagging thinking about it, slimy is the worst! I'm getting groceries today so I planned on taking in the poofed up package. Well this morning when I woke up and opened my fridge the absolute WORST smell of super stinky Parmesan cheese assaulted me, and I saw that the tofu had exploded in my fridge overnight and the tofu/Parmesan water was EVERYWHERE!! Everyone is milling around my feet for breakfast, and here I am scrubbing my fridge at 7 am!! I'm obviously never buying Sprouts tofu again, and believe it or not I think I'm taking a break from tofu. The slimy crumbly block really got to me. Any suggestions for stench killers for the fridge? Although I scrubbed it down, it still reeks. Like I'm about to beg my landlord for a new fridge!! I know baking soda is helpful, but I feel like I might need something stronger! I don't want to put my nice groceries in this stink bomb today! Everyone I've spoken to at the store has been super nice and all of that, but seriously there seems to be an issue with their tofu distributor!
I couldn't have my planned sushi burritos last night so I made some mashed red potatoes with vegan gravy and I also made some 'chicken" style soy curls. I just coated them with nooch, garlic and onion powder and a poultry season blend and baked them in an oven dish while the potatoes cooked. Perfect comfort meal when I really needed it. A little hug in a bowl!
Mood




11 comments:

  1. Oh lord, lord, lord...I purchased spoiled tofu once. When I opened the package, the block was all orange and slimy and the stench had me gagging uncontrollably. God, I start to wretch just recalling it. I remember that I didn't want to put it in my trash, so I had to break it into bits to flush it in the toilet and I thought I was going to barf while I was mushing it (even though I was breathing through my mouth so as not to inhale any of the putrid aroma).

    I suggest a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda (plus time). And, if you have any strong smelling essential oils (like Rosemary or Eucalyptus), you can mix that in the vinegar which might help to eradicate the odor. Or at least mask it until it fades away. I know some essential oils can be expensive, but those two are usually pretty cheap (I know because I have them. I never buy super pricey oils).

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might need to clean your drip pan! That's where odors can sometimes lurk, and I would think that would be especially likely given that you had an explosion! More on it here: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/how-to-get-rid-of-smell-odor-refrigerator.html And I hope this helps or that the smell goes away and that things get better! That's such a gross and unfortunate thing to have happen so often in such a short span of time and from such an otherwise good store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noooooo!!!! That sounds so intense and super gross! I certainly wouldn’t buy sprouts tofu any time soon.
    +1 on the white vinegar, although the tip from Anonymous with the serious eats article is absolutely worth following
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just. So. Gross. I can understand why you might need a little break from tofu, just to put the smell behind you. I would second a combination of vinegar and baking soda.

    In happier news, that kombucha flavour really does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!!! How gross!!! I definitely don't blame you for wanting to take a break from tofu. When you are ready to go back to it I'd stick with the Trader Joe's one. I've never had that happen and I've had past due tofu in my fridge before. Ugh I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I agree with the vinegar and baking soda combo and then just sticking the rest of the baking soda in the fridge to hopefully soak up whatever is left of the odor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coliforms, lactic acid bacteria or yeasts could be what contaminated the tofu. Those organisms could now be lurking inside your refrigerator. Sanitizing the inside walls of your refrigerator and each shelf thoroughly will help avoid future contamination of other foods. It’s cheaper than a hospital visit for food poisoning. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For all vegans out there, there are good news !
    Vegan eggs are finally here , learn more reading this article:
    https://cruelty-free-lifestyle.org/vegan-eggs/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! That truly sucks!! And gross!

    I once bought some fermented chili tofu in a jar from an Asian market, and when I opened it, it tasted rotten. I will never forget that flavor. Almost ruined me on tofu!!! Yuk. I hope the smell comes out of your fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This happened to my wife, and she no longer can stand tofu.!

    We tried cleaning up the mess with baking soda and a couple other home solutions, but the vomit-like smell was so strong and disgusting that it lingered for days. We tried repeated cleanings with little improvement.

    We learned from a major appliance repairer that a food-grade hydrogen peroxide (all vegan) could be used to wipe and disinfect our fridge clean. Garden of Eden makes one. We got a refreshed clean-smelling fridge on the first try.

    My wife was so repulsed that she hasn't touched tofu going on three months now! But our fridge is clean, stench and pathogen-free. We hope you'll get good results with yours. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, how gross and bizarre! I'm so sorry you're still dealing with the aftermath of the tofu explosion, hopefully you'll find something that works to get rid of the smell! On the other hand, your comfort meal looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, best vegan friend in the blog universe!

    All I can say is Eew! on the Tofu!!! :( Won't be buying that brand anytime soon!

    So glad you thought GT's UNITY was AHMAZING!!! I couldn't agree more. It has a fascinating cherry flavor to me and I just love it!

    BLOOM will still be around for only a couple more weeks. It's even milder with fresh flower essence! I think you'll love it too!

    ReplyDelete