Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Vegan Almond Cajun Alfredo

 

Yesterday I made this almond Cajun Alfredo sauce which was kind of an experiment, but it turned out really tasty and I wrote down measurements, so I figured I'd share! I saw a recipe for Cajun soy curls awhile ago, realized I've never had Cajun seasoning that I know of, got stuck down a Cajun wormhole and learned that Cajun Alfredo is a thing!

I used slivered almonds in  this recipe instead of cashews because blanched, slivered almonds are much cheaper than cashews or even whole almonds. Almonds do have a stronger flavor than cashews, but the garlic and Cajun spice cover that nicely. 

 Almond Cajun Alfredo

  • 1/3 C. Blanched, Slivered Almonds
  • 2/3 plus 1/2 to 3/4 C. Water
  • 1 Medium tomato and 3 cloves garlic roasted ( cut the tomato in chunks, peel garlic cloves and pour a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 425 for thirty to forty minutes)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Cajun Seasoning
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 2 T. Nutritional Yeast

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. I ended up using the full 2/3 plus 3/4 cups of water, but I would start with the 2/3 and add a little more as needed. 

When you're making your paste, save a little of the paste water and stir that plus the sauce with your paste. This made enough sauce for a little over a half of a pound of spaghetti.

 


2 comments:

  1. Cajun vegan alfredo might make an Italian look at you funny, but this sounds delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! I have some cajun seasoning that I made so I could control (ie leave out) the chili in it, and this would be a fun way to use some of it up.

    ReplyDelete