Sunday, June 6, 2021

One Bad Egg

 I went to Sprouts bright and early Friday morning, to beat the crowds and the heat. Summer has come in with a bang. It's really not worth showing a haul, because for whatever reason the store was very empty. Especially the produce section, which is the main reason I go to Sprouts!! So, I only got a very small haul. I'll have to pick up more things some other day. 

I did find this on my trip. I've never heard of it, and since it was brand new, they had it on an introductory sale. It's so new they didn't even have a regular price tag on the shelf.

The ingredients seem pretty similar to Just Egg, except that Just uses either mung bean or yellow lentil, and simply uses lupin protein. 

I hadn't eaten yet, so as soon as I got home I cooked some up. I noticed the texture was clunkier than Just, almost more like a chickpea pancake batter. It also took A LOT longer to kind of set up to be scrambled. It was dense and soggy, not fluffy like Just. I did the best I could, and put it on a toasted Dave's English muffin. 


You guys, this is one of the worst things I've bitten into. Taste wise, it's pretty close to Just. They're both pretty mild. But it's the texture. It's soft, almost like soft cheese or a stiff hummus or who cares, it's not the texture I expected or wanted. I took a few bites of this and couldn't eat even half of it. Such a huge NO!!!

Every time I open my fridge this bottle is looking at me, and I couldn't stop thinking that maybe I did something wrong. I mean, this product could not be as bad as this sandwich. The first few chickpea pancakes I made were pretty horrible, now I can make one with my eyes closed. 

So, today I tried to make another batch, cooking it lower and slower. This time they set up faster, but it just formed into one omelette shape and did not want to be scrambled. Instead of little fluffy pieces, you kind of get dense, stodgy pieces.

I cooked it longer than usual hoping to maybe dry it out, and make it less soft but that never happened. it kind of cooks to a certain point and seems to stay that way.

Worst breakfast tacos EVER!!

Several people on the gram commented that this stuff didn't work for them either. I genuinely don't know how this got the okay to send out to market!! I give this a zero out of ten. I would never buy this again, even if it were on clearance. I cringe at the thought of a non vegan trying this and being turned off from any vegan food ever. Please, do yourself a favor and don't try this!!!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I saw it but grabbed the last bottle of JUST Egg because (at least here) that's so much cheaper. I wonder if the Simply Eggless is better in baking or something? But we have so many ways to substitute when baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it's not on sale, I see that it's a dollar more than Just Egg which really takes some nerve because it's so terrible!
      I'm going to use the rest in baking, but you're right, there is no reason to buy this because flaxmeal is so much cheaper!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with this product 😞. But your review is cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm glad!! I really cannot believe people tested this and were like yes, let's sell this!!!

      Delete