Saturday, June 12, 2021

Two No's Don't Make a Yes!

 

Well, I tried this No Tuna salad, and at least one word is correct. No. Remember yesterday when I said I never buy this because I think of how easy chickpea salad is? Well, as usual I should have listened to myself. Not only is chickpea salad easy and inexpensive to make, but it is also so much tastier! This is made with very firm tofu, and it has no mayo or mustard or anything with moisture in it. Well, it has tamari but given the lack of flavor I'd say not much. This stuff is DRY!


I want to say it's almost like cream cheese, except it's not at all creamy. It's very crumbly, which makes it difficult and frustrating to make a sandwich!

I did the best I could spreading it on some bread and making a tuna melt. Although I guess it wasn't really a melt because I didn't add cheese. But it was a toasted sandwich.

It's really, really bland. Picture eating plain, uncooked tofu with a little tamari and a little seaweed. I know there are people who eat plain tofu, so maybe this is for them, but this is a no from me dawg.On a sandwich, with tomato that I salted and peppered, and some sprouts it was better. I also dipped the sandwich in yellow mustard which added flavor and moisture. I will finish this container, but I definitely do not recommend and I will never buy this again.

Honestly, I don't even see this as a convenience item. If you were trying to eat this in a car, or a break room it would be so stressful because it is so crumbly. You'd have to vacuum your car after eating. 


Do you guys remember awhile ago I found a Rojo's vegan pancake sandwich on clearance? I have been scared to try it because it's a pancake with sausage and cheese, and that just doesn't make sense to me. 

The other day I decided to be brave and try it. It was pretty much as I expected, weird. They use Field Roast breakfast links, and I didn't like the texture of the sausage at all, and the cheese added nothing. I couldn't process savory cheese being paired with a sweeter sausage and the sweet pancake. It just was very confusing and unpleasant. I'm glad I got it on clearance. I will say this to be fair, I don't eat breakfast foods. Not even breakfast for dinner. So, I'm probably not going to like many foods like this. I would say if you like breakfast foods, especially Field Roast sausages, you would probably love this.



8 comments:

  1. I love Field Roast sausages but I don't think the breakfast sausages really go with cheese, for what that may be worth. (Also, I love breakfast food. I seem to have an endless parade of breakfast on my own blog.)

    Sorry about the tuna salad! That does sound wrong. It looks like a bad version of the "ham salad" I make at home sometimes, but the difference is, that ham salad is delicious. Maybe that one goes better on crackers, especially strongly-flavored ones? Just a thought to help you finish the tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't think cheese belonged in this sandwich, and I was right. From what I could see on their website, they put cheese in all their pancake sandwiches.
      I thought about crackers, but I mean this stuff is so crumbly and dry it would break a cracker and just be a mess!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog and your honest reviews about vegan products you've tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      I've decided I'm going to give my honest opinion, especially when I think things are bad. These vegan specialty items are beyond insanely expensive, and a lot of the time the stuff is not even that good!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness that tuna sounds awful. You are such a trooper to make a go at it. I have really liked the few Cedarlane products I have tried. They have a frozen vegan lasagna that is very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the lasagna at Sprouts and I think maybe vegan enchiladas? I've had their hummus and loved it. I'll just chalk this up to a mistake, and we all make them!

      Delete
  4. The tuna salad sounds awful! Anytime there is a product like this where you have to do a million extra things to it to make it at least a little palatable, that is a big fail on their part.

    I think I would still try that sausage cheese pancake thing, even though it does sound very weird. But I would do it for science. Because I am very silly. But not silly enough to ever want to try that tuna thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Prepared, convenience food should be ready to go. Especially when you pay such a high price for the convenience.
      I seriously think anyone who likes breakfast foods would like it, maybe minus the cheese. The outer pancake pastry was really tasty, and made me wonder why I don't eat pancakes!

      Delete