Monday, March 2, 2015

You're Going to want to Chao down on This Pasta

I did it! I managed to exercise self control, and save some of the coconut herb slices to cook with. It's been so cold and snowy, and the winter blues have been mucking up my spirits, so something mac and cheesey sounded so good. I decided to really splurge and make my favorite vegan Alfredo sauce, and then add the Chao to really make it beyond decadent. This was a meal that I would make for someone really special. Chao is really changing my life. I'm so sorry daiya, but I can't imagine going back to you. I might keep a bag of you in the freezer for Dylan, but I am all about the Chao! I have one last flavor to try, the tomato cayenne which I will be trying today. I have a perfectly ripe avocado. I see the two coming together and making some delicious music together.
Sorry, I'm getting all ahead of myself. Back to this wonderful cheesey dish. The Chao melted beautifully in the pasta, and it made the sauce so unctuous. It added to the dish much more than daiya does. It didn't liquefy, and kind of melt away. It melted, but kept some body and let it's presence be known in the dish. Chao slices are no shrinking violets! Here's the recipe, I hope if anyone tries it, they love it as much as I do.
                                                        Vegan Mac& Chao Cheese!
                                                             1 C. Raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
                                                              4 T Nutritional yeast
                                                              1tsp. garlic powder
                                                              1/2 tsp. onion powder
                                                               1tsp. dried oregano
                                                               1 tsp. miso paste
                                                               3 slices Chao coconut herb
                                                               1/2 C water
                                                                1/4 C unsweetened plant milk of choice
                                                                1 1/2 tsp. arrowroot, or cornstarch
                                                                S&P to taste

                                                                2 C. Dried pasta, any short shape you prefer.




Blend all ingredients minus the Chao, and pasta. While making the sauce, also boil your pasta according to directions. Cook one minute under time directed. You will be cooking it with the sauce to melt the cheese, and you don't want mushy pasta. (unless you do) You might have to add a little more liquid, I find it's always a little different each time. You want the sauce to be thick. Not so thick that it won't pour out of the blender, but still thick. Once your pasta is done cooking, drain and put back into the pot. Add your cashew sauce, and over med. low heat, stir for one minute to thicken, and come together. Tear the Chao slices into small pieces, and slowly stir into the pasta. Turn off heat, cover pot, and allow to sit for four or five minutes. (so hard.)  Once the time has passed. open the lid and witness the creamiest, dreamiest bowl of pasta ever!


  This is a rich and decadent dish, and the Chao added both wonderful flavor, and texture to this dish.
Now that I've made this once and let Chao kind of be the star, I think next time I might add some roasted garlic to the sauce, and maybe even caramelized onions. The possibilities are endless! Enjoy.
            




No comments:

Post a Comment