Sunday, March 1, 2015

Smile, and say Chao!

After what feels like the longest wait EVER, I was finally able to splurge on some fresh Chao vegan cheese! Life is good. I planned for this magical moment, and splurged on all three flavors, tomato cayenne, coconut herb, and creamy original. I know that I should practice my patience here, and wait until I've tasted all three flavors, and then talk about it. But what can I say, my life seriously lacks right now, so I want to have three separate, joyous experiences. I'm dragging this out like a reality show. Anyway, I opened the creamy original first. I smelled it, and I swear everyone was right! It smells so cheesey! It does not have any kind of strange, mystery smell at all! And it is not slimy or sweaty, or damp in any way. It feels firm like a deli slice of Swiss, or provolone. And the slices separate very easily, no broken pieces here. I was so nervous tasting it cold, I think most vegans can agree on the fact that if it's not a nut based cheese, do not dare to eat it plain, or uncooked. And once again, everyone was right. I don't know what else to say, I ate two slices plain, right out of the package, and I had to stop myself from eating it all, standing in my kitchen! It reminded me of a muenster, or even maybe a baby Swiss. Honestly, it's been so dang long since I've had cruel cheese, I can't exactly remember, but it has a mild, yet rich flavor which is what I remember about those two cheeses. I then made myself something I thought I would never eat again. A cold cheese sandwich! With just mustard! And it was so freaking good I'm almost in tears thinking about it now.  It has such a nice, firm texture that seems to be lacking in other vegan cheeses. If you haven't tried this cheese yet, I truly can't recommend it enough. When I first heard rumblings about this new vegan cheese that tasted great cold, I was very full of hope, but also doubt. When daiya first came out with their Swiss slices, I felt like it kind of smelled like Swiss. So I ate some cold, out of the package, and all I can say is NO. Good in a grilled cheese, or some other cooked preparation, but not cold, and alone. I am so overjoyed that the hype was so deserved. I would easily serve this to anyone who is not vegan, and even dubious non-vegans. I can't imagine anyone having a problem. I want to give Field Roast the biggest hug for making this delicious product. I paid $5.99 per package, which on my tiny budget is a splurge, but trust me, it is a super low price considering the quality. Field Roast is nailing it, between their grain sausages, and deli slices, and now this insanely delicious cheese. I keep saying it's getting harder and harder to use taste as an excuse for cruelty.
I plan on experimenting with cooking with this cheese, and of course I will be trying the two other flavors very soon, so I will be reporting on all of my findings.Oh, I forgot to mention that the package comes with ten slices, and the slices are hearty. Also, his majesty, Dylan is apparently a daiya shreds loyalist, he wants no part of the Chao. More for me, but I feel bad for him because Chao is pretty much going to always be my vegan cheese of choice. Sorry dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment