Monday, March 16, 2015

My Vegan Milkshake Brings all the Boys to the Yard

Coconut is a trendy food, if not superfood. It's trendy even in the non-vegan world. Apparently coconut anything fits well into the paleo lifestyle(diet?) So coconut specialty things are pricey. Coconut bacon? The price for a flimsy bag makes me gag. I am not a fan of coconut water, thank gourd because it seems like a super expensive way to hydrate yourself. Super food equals super expensive.
If you live near a store with bulk bins, look for coconut pieces that are raw. It's so cheap to make your own coconut bacon, or really any flavor chip you want. I've noticed other coconut "chip" flavors and the price is just out of control, in my opinion. In the summer, I make big batches of coconut bacon and keep it in a jar in my fridge for quick B.L.A.T 's and to top salads.
I said all of that to say that I stocked up on my coconut stash at the Co-op this weekend, because I'm going to experiment with a homemade oat/coconut milk blend. And I might make a batch of coconut bacon now that the temps are rising!! And for my final coconut fact- add it to a smoothie! I haven't had a smoothie in awhile due to freezing temps. So, yesterday was almost forty degrees! so I decided to make a delicious fruity smoothie. I threw about a cup of frozen mixed berries into my blender with two bananas, about 1/4 cup of  flaked coconut, and about a cup of water. It was so pink and beautiful. It was like the freshest berry milkshake ever. The coconut added more of a texture than flavor. It made the smoothie (shake!) creamier, and also little pieces of coconut didn't get blended, so it had that Pina Colada texture. Oh, I forgot, I added a drop of vanilla extract, and about a tablespoon of coconut sugar. I find in the summer berries don't need any sweet help, but in the winter they need a little extra sweet love. It has been a million years since I've had a regular milkshake, but from my dusty memories, this won wins hand down. No berry "flavor" here!
I can't recommend bulk bin shopping enough! I spent $ 1.76 for raw coconut pieces. From that batch I will be making milk, making bacon, and adding to two more smoothies. $ 1.76 might buy one coconut bacon piece. If I have success with my milk, and I think I will, I will do my very best to remember to write down measurements.
Have an amazing day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment