Sunday, September 21, 2014

Making Hummus Sing!

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Fit on Raw. I've mentioned more than once my love of the oatmeal crust pizza. Yesterday I watched her newest what I eat in a day video, and  she had a wrap that was made with a curry hummus, and veggies. The wrap looked so good, and the thought of curry in hummus intrigued my taste buds. She said she will be posting a video for the recipe sometime this week and I can't wait! She really makes some great recipes.
I just couldn't stop thinking about those wraps, or hummus with curry, so I did a little kitchen experimenting this morning, and I made some good hummus. I cooked my garbanzo beans from dry, and ended up with about a cup and a half, which I believe is equal to about a can. Then I added a tablespoon and a half of tahini, 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 tsp. cumin, a pinch of red pepper flakes for extra spice, the juice of half of a small lemon, and salt and pepper. I blended till smooth, and man what a treat. I can't wait for Swayze's recipe (Fit on Raw). I think next time I might go a full teaspoon of curry powder as I like it spicy. I enjoy making my own hummus, it's so easy, and tastes way better than store bought. And I have a real problem with the price of pre made hummus. The very few times I have bought pre made, I'm always disappointed, and I decided one day that no matter what, I'm not going to buy pre made anymore, because even if it were delicious, it still is pureed beans, not spun gold.
If you like curry, you should add a shake to your hummus. And you should check out Fit on Raw blog, and YouTube channel, like I said her recipes are really delicious and simple, and not using a lot of expensive or hard to get ingredients. She also has a video for a dragon bowl that I will be making this week, because it looks sooooooo good!!
By the way, I smeared some hummus on a tortilla, piled some romaine lettuce, cucumber, and banana peppers, wrapped it all up, and wow delicious. The curry doesn't overpower, it just adds a nice little zip. I'm glad to have a new spin on such an old stand by!

No comments:

Post a Comment