Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Coconut Oil Saved my Skin!!

For as far back as I can remember, moisturizing has been very important to me. I remember as a kid, when we would come home from the beach, my mom would make us put on moisturizer as soon as we got home. Back in the day lotions and potions were my jam! I used to love to buy all different kinds, and all different scents and layer with other scents, and do I want shimmer, and on and on. I'm sure a lot of people can relate! The quality of my lotions varied over the years, due to income, and well, mostly income. I shudder to think about some of the weird stuff I've smeared on my body. I really only learned in the past couple of years how big of an organ your skin is, and it's not such a good thing to be smearing a bunch of toxins on it. Also, no matter how much moisture these products promised, I never felt like it was enough, and I definitely always felt like I needed to constantly re apply.
When I decided I wanted to go a less toxic route, I almost passed out at some of the organic, all natural lotions. Seriously, how are people affording the prices of all organic stuff? It's really a shame when you have to be rich to have pure products, and food. Anyway, I needed to figure something out. Coconut oil was kind of getting a little trend action at the time for cooking, and trans fat, and heart health and blah blah blah. It was through that whole phase that lightbulb! I learned of the amazing powers of moisture for your skin!! It changed my effing life I tell you! My skin felt so soft even the next day, without having to reapply a million times! And where man made moisturizers may bring you temporary relief, I feel like coconut oil really fixed my skin from within. I have been using only coconut oil for about two plus years now, and I don't see myself ever changing. The true test was last winter, which I will remind everyone was BRUTAL on the east coast, I'm talking schools being cancelled due to temperatures, not snow(!)! And I used coconut oil religiously, especially on my face, and my skin did not get that tight itchy feeling that I usually get even in milder winter climates.
If you compare prices between organic lotions, and coconut oils the coconut oil is the obvious winner. Coconut oil is on the pricier side, but it will last you FOREVER! My local Co-op almost always has a sale on one brand or another. I paid I believe $ 8.99 for 29 ounces, at least four or five months ago. And I don't use it in cooking as often as on my skin, I do use it in the kitchen, so yeah I think that is beyond a good deal. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you have skin that is on the drier side.
And although I don't use it a ton in the kitchen, one thing I recently learned is that coconut oil is delicious on a baked potato! I love it more than Earth Balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment