Monday, June 30, 2014

No Poo for life!!!

I have been reading about using baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar for a conditioner for a few years and was always intrigued by the idea, but it just seemed to scary to try. And I've been called a hippie once or twice! About 6 months ago, I decided that I was going to try it sometime this year! I still kept putting it off till about a month ago. It was love at first wash. Just like when you clean with white vinegar, the smell goes away I swear. I may be more on the natural side, but I draw the line at my hair smelling like vinegar! The first two times I washed my hair this way it was amazing! Then I hit a 2 or 3 day oily patch, which from what I've read is normal, it's just you're hair's natural ph balance coming back to normal. Apple cider vinegar helps with dandruff, and apparently it is a natural humectant which means it helps seal in moisture. When I think of all the money through the years I've spent on particularly conditioners I feel ill. Not to mention all the plastic packaging. And I never was happy with my hair. I always felt like it was dry and weighed down, which it was weighed down by all the weird stuff they put in conditioners! What is half of that stuff anyway? And why is alcohol in so many conditioners? I am certainly not a scientist, but when did alcohol become moisturizing and conditioning? And some of the ingredients sound flammable! I always felt weirded out by the ingredient list but what can you do? I don't know about you, but I wasn't taught any other way to wash my hair. I would say the first two weeks or so, I had to be patient, like I said, I had a couple of oilier than I would have liked days, and a couple of days I rubbed the tiniest bit of coconut oil in the ends of my hair, as they were feeling a little dry. But now that I'm in my fifth week, my hair feels so great! It's shiny, and soft, and all of the things I've always wanted it to be! And as an added bonus, I think since I've been taking such better care of my body, my hair is healthier and thicker! I am saving so much money, and using less plastic. and my hair is healthier than ever! Don't try it if you are super skeptical, but curious. Let it mill around in you're head for a bit, and you'll know when you're ready to try it. It is really different, and it takes some time to get used to the different way you're hair feels. And like everything in life, it's probably not for everyone. But I say if you're open to it, and looking for a change, seriously try it. I can't really imagine that I will ever use traditional shampoo and conditioner again! I don't really measure at this point but I can tell you how I make my potions. I use a jar for my poo, and an old Bragg's squeeze bottle for my conditioner. I probably put about two or three tablespoons of baking soda and the rest water and bam poo! And about the same ratio for the conditioner. I only wash my hair every other day, so these containers last me a week or more. If you are curious hop on YouTube you'll see a ton of videos with girls with gorgeous hair who use this method. And also like in every thing you can see videos of people who had no luck. I'm no expert I can only speak for myself when I say it has worked wonders for my hair. I say you don't know until you try something but do you're own investigating to make sure if you're scared! Oh one more thing, just like if you make you're own vinegar solution to clean, you can add any essential oil you like to you're conditioner. Be patient and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment