Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Just Mayo newish vegan mayo review!!

So I've been reading about Just Mayo for awhile. Hampton Creek is a company that is funded by Bill Gates and they are really aiming to make healthier food for both us and the environment. And what I found interesting is that Bill Gates is one of the backers. The first product on the shelves is Just Mayo. As most vegans I have had a long affair with vegenaise. I actually never thought I would even get to try Just Mayo, but much like the kettle chips, Just Mayo magically appeared at my local co-op. ( thank god for co-ops!) Anyway when I saw that jar I knew I had to try it. The bonus was that since it was a new item, the co-op had it on a sweet sale. My food budget is tight, but lucky for me, this happened to be a week I could afford one impulse item. I got it home and because I had just made a batch of coconut bacon, I felt I needed to make a blt (clt?). Let me just tell you that I really feel guilty because Just Mayo is now my mistress! It is so effing smooth and creamy and the taste is amazing! I never ate a whole lot of mayo before going vegan so my memory is a little hazy, but to me it reminded me of if mayonnaise and miracle whip mated and had a baby with the absolute best features of both parents. I like the texture better also. Sometimes vegenaise freaked me out a little cause sometimes it kind of separates in a weird and clumpy way. I have also used it to make my famous chick pea salad. Yum!  I'm glad I found this on sale and am able to pass on my opinion if anyone is interested. As I've mentioned over and over I am on a strict budget, and it's always a bummer when you splurge, and it's a dud. I think if any vegans out there live with non-vegans, or even just know non-vegans, and let's face it we all do, I think you should make a sandwich and use Just Mayo. I bet they would fall in love! And the way I see it we want to save animals lives. And even if someone eats a non-vegan sandwich, but uses Just Mayo, that is less suffering. The world is not always black and white, there is a ton of grey area. I live in the meatiest, most intolerant city I have ever lived in so I know what an uphill battle it is to try to get people to care enough to give up all meat pizzas and bacon double cheeseburgers with a side of bacon mayonnaise. But if someone tastes one thing that they are convinced will suck, and it doesn't, that opens their mind a little bit, and maybe they will tell other bacon mayonnaise lovers that wow this eggless mayo is pretty damn good. So I cannot recommend Just Mayo enough! And the Hampton Creek website is pretty interesting also, and they have recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment