Sunday, June 22, 2014

Easy, cheap earth friendly cleaning

Something I sometimes struggle with is the price of the more eco friendly cleaning products. When you are on a very tight budget, sometimes you can hardly afford food and regular cleaning products, let alone the organic products. For years this has been a huge source of frustration for me, and I have to admit than in the past I have used bad products when I've been in a financial pinch. And I've been in many pinches! About a year or so ago, I decided to try the vinegar, baking soda combo. And I have not looked back! I love it and I cannot recommend it enough. Baking soda is a great exfoliator, and it really does scrub away spots. And the vinegar really is streak free. Anything more delicate, and also windows and mirrors I use only vinegar. Both of these ingredients are non-toxic and super duper cheap. I know that we are conditioned to believe we need very harsh chemicals for anything tobe clean and sanitary and in my opinion from everything I've read, from various people and sources, It just is not true. The vinegar smell goes away almost immediately. It's nice to know that I can actually eat off my kitchen floor. I think some of the scary chemicals in some of those cleaners are scarier than dirt! At first I was paranoid because we think we have to smell bleach, or some kind of weird fakey floral or cinnamon, or whatever. So you have to be patient and let yourself relearn what clean smells like. I promise you're place is clean! And vinegar and baking soda are definitely cheaper than even the cheap store brand. I use an old spray bottle and use about 2 or 3 tablespoons of baking soda and the same amount of vinegar and fill the bottle with warm water and clean away! These are not exact measurements, and they change depending on the strength I need. So just play around until you have the strength you need. I don't personally do this, but I know a lot of people who use this method add a few drops whatever essential oil they like. Give it a few tries!

No comments:

Post a Comment