Saturday, January 20, 2018

Vegan Hauls and Tahini Saves The Day!

I got some groceries yesterday and I couldn't resist these flowers that were on clearance for twenty nine cents!!! It's been five million years since I've gotten flowers for any reason so I coughed up the change and treated myself!
Here's my little Natural Grocers haul. I also got a bag of Epsom salts that didn't make it in the picture. The Cliff bar and the Hail Merry are treats for a coworker.
Lemons, seaweed snacks,potatoes, Tangelos,frozen blueberries, tofu, salsa
red and yellow onion, coconut milk, gold potatoes,avocado,spinach,green onions,bananas
Starting next week I'm going to be doing some more vegan on a budget posts. My haul from Trader Joe's was like thirty five dollars so I'm not too far off. And for me my whole life has been on a budget so I can't really call it a challenge because it's kind of just life for me. But more than the protein question I get questions about the cost and complications of a vegan diet. So I'm going to do a few weeks or maybe a whole month of eating on thirty dollars a week. I hope to show some tasty, simple and interesting meals. I love it when people who are coming through my lane at work tell me they could never be vegan because it's "so expensive" I wonder how much money they think a cashier makes?
Several people at work and tons of customers have been sick and breathing on me and yesterday I had some sniffles and felt a little weak and headache-y. So when I got home from getting groceries I made this tangelo and carrot juice. I also had a huge green smoothie and several doses of Airborne. I capped all that off with a ginger detox bath and I'm happy to report that I scared that cold out of my body. I feel much better today. I'll still be drinking lots of Airborne today because it's back to work.
I made more potato queso yesterday. I recently watched a video on YouTube and they were making this and they insisted that tahini was super important to this recipe so I added some tahini to this batch and man they were right!! The fattiness makes a huge difference, and I think it's better than adding cashews. Tahini is in a lot of vegan cheese recipes and I think it's not only the fattiness but the bitterness too. I've always thought my potato cheese sauce was good, but needed something and now I know what it needed!
For dinner I had a bowl with roasted potatoes, lentils, lots of the queso, extra salsa and Cholula sauce, avocado and green onions an a little diced jalapeno. This was so delicious I want another bowl of it right now!!
I saw a new vegan cheese sauce at Natural Grocers, and it was pretty dang expensive and when I read the ingredients, they were potato, carrot onion and some spices!! It was Miyokos expensive, and at least she uses nuts!! Anyway, this is super easy to make. Most of the time involved is downtime while the potato and carrot cook. Other than that it takes minutes to whiz together.
I can't let a Caturday go by without showing my little lady Roxy. She loves to lay like this and it gets me every time!








8 comments:

  1. How exciting to find those flowers! You’re so generous with your coworkers, that’s really sweet :)) those hail merry espresso cups sound seriously awesome- I haven’t seen that flavor before.
    I’ve never even made nacho cheese sauce but i have most of a huge jar of tahini i bought a while back at a middle eastern grocery and i’m taking a break from hummus.
    You’re the post girl for vegan on a budget! Obviously it can be done- people tell themselves all kinda of stories about why they can’t/won’t/don’t do (fill in the blank). But that doesn’t make it true.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally make a potato queso dip!! It is seriously so amazing and you would never guess it is made with potatoes! And tahini makes all the difference!
      I think the ark chocolate espresso is kind of new. I had never seen that flavor either. I personally love the lemon tarts.

      Delete
  2. Yay for flowers; they're very pretty! Your bowl looks amazing! Roxy and her crossed paws; too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bowl was amazing! I seriously want another one! Roxy always likes to be a little lady!

      Delete
  3. Those flowers are so pretty! Awesome deal. Do you remember the name of that expensive cheese sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hardly believe the price of the flowers! They're still alive three days later. I definitely got my money's worth!
      I don't remember, but I will check tne next time I'm there.

      Delete
  4. Tahini is so good! I used to hate it because I found it super bitter, but my taste buds have matured and now I love it, can just eat it off the spoon. When I need a quick little extra to top off a meal, straight up tahini so often gets the job done! I can imagine it would be great in cheesy sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice flowers! SCORE on the discounted price, too!

    ReplyDelete