Tuesday, January 2, 2018

I Made a Resolution!

Trader Joe's veggie gyoza
Frozen Natural Cut fries
Dr. Praeger's Bombay burger an oven fries
These are some of the meals I've been having lately. While they're not the worst, they are far from the best. The gyoza aren't even gluten free, but I had a moment of weakness at Trader Joe's! I've always loved their veggie gyoza and it's been over a year since I've had any kind of dumpling!
One of my resolutions for 2018(?!?!!) is to eat less processed food. The reason why actually has nothing to do with health. In 2018 I want to start moving towards a zero waste lifestyle. I don't actually expect myself to be that extreme, but I want to cut down A LOT on my waste. I am horrified at the amount of plastic bags I hand out in just one day. And the cases of soda, beer frozen foods in boxes, pre-cut onions, celery and other vegetables in plastic containers, and on and on and on. And recycling doesn't seem to be important to a lot of people. We don't even have recycling at our store. It's pretty horrifying. And don't get me started on food waste. It's enough to make me pull my hair out. And when I try to bring it up at work my coworkers look at me like "shut up hippie." So I am going to challenge myself to do better. I am going to get back in the habit of cooking beans from scratch, making my own hummus and pasta sauce, etc. I just want less packaging in my life.
I've been feeling so frustrated and sad and helpless which is actually the worst feeling.I'm also angry with myself for falling into the trap of pre made hummus and veggie burgers, and other convenience foods that have packaging. As I've mentioned my apartment doesn't even offer recycling!!! So here's to a kinder gentler and less wasteful New Year!
Happy 2018!!

13 comments:

  1. Love it! That is a perfect reason to give up processed foods (and one I don't think about that often, but you're right — so much waste!). Also those gyoza look delicious. Definitely okay to treat yourself sometimes (but I hope you didn't feel too awful after the gluten).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely going to be a challenge, especially on those nights I don't want to cook, but I'm up for it!
      The gyoza were so good, it was totally worth the cheat!

      Delete
  2. The veggie gyoza look so good, and eating less processed food is a great goal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, the amount of packaging and waste that comes along with processed foods is astounding. Even produce is packaged nowadays. I love the idea of cutting down on waste. I love your goal and if we all do our part we can definitely make a difference :)

    Your meals all look delicious as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Every grocery store sells all kinds of chopped veggies in plastic containers. It drives me nutso!!

      Delete
  4. Good on you for reducing your carbon footprint!

    That's the very reason I've never purchased a K-Cup style coffee maker...so much waste. So much additional plastic in the landfills because of those stupid things. It infuriates me. We use a normal auto-drip coffee machine with unbleached paper filters that go into our compost bin with the spent grounds. Nothing for the landfill.

    Here's to a cleaner, greener and [hopefully] a lot less meaner 2018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading an article about the K-Cups an the incredible amount of waste the produce. And they're so popular!

      Delete
  5. Those veggie gyoza are really awesome...!
    That's a really great resolution, i am horrified daily by how environmentally irresponsible nyc is- although thankfully it is a law that apartment buildings and businesses must recycle. Is there a public recycling location that would be easy to bring your home recycling to? I always bring my own bags when grocery shopping otherwise the cashiers will often double or triple pastic bag just like a few items per bag! It's totally crazy. Whole foods and trader joe are the only stores that don't do that.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am absolutely horrified by the plastic bags at work and that's really what made me want to step up my own actions. I've gotten so much better about bringing my own bags when I go shopping!
      I don't know of any recycling near my apartment. So to lug recycling on the bus seems pretty miserable. Yet another reason for me to just lighten my own load. It seems much easier.

      Delete
  6. Don't be angry at yourself, it is such a busy world and sometimes you need convenience products. <3 But definitely a great resolution. I try and make more things from scratch, though with a busy work life it doesn't always work out. One of the supermarkets offers a soft plastic recycling (they get turned into play ground equipment and benches and stuff), and since I have started collecting it to take in it is pretty horrifying the amount of plastic we use regularly! I'd like to find a good, reasonably priced bulk shop that is close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yey less waste! I stopped composting for the winter (we have to bring our compost to our parents or to our CSA) because it is just a little too much of a pain, and I get a little guilt tripped by myself. Our trash fills up so fast!

    Good luck with keeping up with making things. It feels so rewarding, but it does involve a little more thought and effort. Have you tried freezing extra veggie burgers? That's what I do. That way you can make a big batch and have something on days where you are just super exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I remember reading an article about how the K-cup creator even regrets his invention. I think one of the competing products you can recycle the metal pods, but I've NEVER seen my sister do so. So sad.
    Currently I am trying out these filters that are reusable and are made from a cotton fabric. I am liking it. I think I will have to toss it soon- they say you can use them for 2 years. I don't think I saved money (or at least that much) but I think it saved a lot of paper.

    ReplyDelete