Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Half Empty Half Full Kind of Day

I had this delicious smoothie for breakfast yesterday on my hooky day. It had half an avocado, frozen strawberries, frozen mango banana and hemp seeds. It was really creamy and tasty.
I made more gluten free brownies using this mix from a company called Gluten Free Heaven which just happens to be a local company. I feel so cool and hip buying local! (Ha Ha) I just used some lite coconut milk an also some raspberry pie filling. I used too much pie filling because the texture was a little too moist, but the taste is there.
I had another half fail in the kitchen. I wanted to make a white lasagna with mushrooms, so I made a tofu ricotta, cashew Alfredo sauce and some garlic-y herb-y sauteed mushrooms. I had some gluten free lasagna noodles that were no boil. I think where I went wrong is that I assembled it hours before I wanted to bake it. I  tinkered in the kitchen in the early afternoon, and I wanted to clean, work out, cuddle with the kitties and then let it bake while I took a detox bath. Well, the noodles started getting crumbly, almost like chips it was really weird. So by the time I baked it the noodles were already weirdly soft but not cooked. So it definitely lost all lasagna shape and the noodles were definitely overcooked but it was still a tasty mess. The mushrooms were so garlic-y and the tofu ricotta was super nooch-y so how bad could it be? I'll have to try the noodles again when I assemble it right before cooking to  give them a fair chance.
Since I mentioned that I had to take a mental health day yesterday I thought it would be an appropriate time to give an update on the produce department. So someone who works in produce mentioned the opening, I then introduced myself to the produce manager and asked about it and he knew nothing about it and said they didn't need anyone. So I asked him to keep me in mind if something did open up and that was that.
I got this glamour shot of Roxy the other day. She likes to bask in the sun and also feels it's the best lighting for her green eyes.














































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































6 comments:

  1. I bet that lasagna was still super-tasty! It sounds delicious. I'm always weary of no-boil noodles. I've used them with some success, but I still don't understand how they work. And it makes me nervous! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks groovy! Very cool on the local FIND, too! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lasagna and brownies?! Yes please!! They look amazing and I've been craving baked treats for a while now so I definitely need to get on that soon! Roxy is such a beauty! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raspberry pie filling sounds like a pretty great addition! We can only get pie apples here, no pumpkin pie/cherry pie/raspberry pie/etc fillings. And the lasagna sounds tasty, even if it was a bit messy.

    Boo about the produce department being a bust, but hopefully something might come up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned that at work no one will read your mind, no one will tell you to take vacation days or time off, and no one will know what you want unless you put it out there. So regardless of his reply you should give your self credit for speaking up and putting yourself out there!
    I’m glad the lasagna turned out tasty, I feel like the noodles always get overcooked or not cooked enough with any baked pasta. There’s this crazy awesome one pot pasta that’s accidentally vegan (obvs just swap nooch for the parm), and it’s very budget friendly. Basically dump everything in one pot! You could totally use whatever shape gf noodles you have
    https://food52.com/recipes/30147-martha-stewart-s-one-pan-pasta#comments
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete