Sunday, October 27, 2019

Sprouts Haul and The Stew!!!

Hello!!! I've been thinking about making a new post, and have typed and deleted several posts. I picked up some groceries from Sprouts yesterday and made a really delicious internet famous recipe, so I figured I'd share. First, I'll share my haul. You'll see it's pretty much my usual items.
Oranges, turmeric, bananas, power vitamin c packs, vegan gravy, Mary's Gone Crackers, hummus, potatoes, celery, kombucha,onion, avocado,tofu, pineapple, sweet potato
Bulk rice, opal apples,kale, oatmilk creamer, strawberries,ginger,lemons,live kombucha,coconut cream and milk, clearance Korean BBQ spice rub
I'm still keeping it cheap and simple. This haul was forty five dollars, but I had a coupon so it was forty dollars. Sprouts has a reputation for being super pricey, which it can be, but they have the best sales on produce, and have fair prices on staples like tofu. Like anyplace, it's when you get into the specialty vegan items that prices skyrocket.
I'll do a little cat palate cleanser and update before I move on to the famous recipe I tried. There has been a little progress in the Bubba/ Kiki saga. Sometimes, if Kiki is in the right mood they can be in the same room, and even on the same couch with no problems. Or, as you can see by Kiki's glare only small problems! But she still randomly attacks him, and he is still totally scared of her. He won't even walk by her unless I'm in the middle as a buffer!!
A few weeks ago a video popped up on YouTube titled spiced chickpea stew. I didn't pay attention to it at first for who knows what reason. But the video wouldn't leave me alone, it just kept being suggested to me. I finally caved and watched it, and decided I needed to try it. It's made by a non vegan, and it's so popular that if you Google "The Stew" it's the first result!!!
The stew is very simple, I had to stop myself from doctoring it because I thought it might be bland. Silly me, it is bursting with flavor and is one of the tastiest things I've put in my mouth recently!! Here is the recipe. The only two things I did differently was use cilantro as a garnish instead of mint, and I only had one can of chickpeas so I used that plus two smallish potatoes.
I served mine with rice and a dollop of coconut cream. This recipe deserves all the love and attention plus so much more. I ten out of ten recommend this, and I will be making this ALOT! It's rich and creamy with a very warming flavor. It's not spicy at all, in fact in the end I did add more crushed red pepper and of course some sambal but I'm a spicy kind of gal, so you could use less crushed red pepper if you're sensitive. I would definitely serve this to non vegans because it's just so good and satisfying that it just stands on it's own. Nothing is missing from this dish. And the ingredients are easy to find and very inexpensive. You could easily feed three of four hungry people for very little money!! Seriously cannot recommend enough!!!


7 comments:

  1. That stew looks awesome (well, minus the cilantro)! I love anything with lots of sauce/gravy/soupiness. And I'm just like you; the hotter the better.

    Glad to see things are progressing in a positive direction (albeit slowly) with Kiki/Bubba. Eventually things will calm down. It might never be true love, but she'll learn to ignore him.

    Hope the new job is going well and that you're taking full advantage of that discount! Laterz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe calls for mint as a garnish, but cilantro is cheaper and doesn't come in plastic! You could also use sacallions, or nothing at all because the stew itself is so AMAZING!!!
      I hope she learns to ignore him!! Everyone else has!!!

      Delete
  2. The stew sounds great, though I would definitely be decreasing that spice level. Your 'not spicy at all' is probably my 'my face is melting'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I thought of you when I tyoed that!! I totally agree. I think we like similar foods, it's just spicy V. no spice!!!

      Delete
  3. I read somewhere that this vegan food blog was defunct. So glad to see that it's still running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just took a long break, and I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep blogging or no.

      Delete
  4. That great that Kiki and Bubba can share the couch now! And that stew sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete