Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Potatoes All Day

As I mentioned yesterday, I have been eating a lot of potatoes. Lentils, split peas and potatoes have pretty much been my summer diet staples. Yesterday I was craving something other than an oven baked potato. But potatoes, plus a small amount of tomato paste, a jalapeno and garlic were all I had. So, I decided to make spicy cheesey scalloped potatoes. Or maybe they would be more like Au Gratin potatoes? I boiled one potato with two cloves of garlic and about half a jalapeno. Then, I blended it all with some nooch and the tomato paste and that became my cheese sauce. I sliced the rest of my potatoes very thin and layered them in a casserole dish with the sauce and some vegan shreds. This was a thrown together keep my fingers crossed it's edible kind of dish and it turned out soooo delicious! The cheese sauce would have been excellent for nachos!
So creamy and cheesey!
I made this huge hash brown for dinner one night. It's baked in the oven and totally oil free. I just shredded the potatoes and spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Yum.
This was a very beige but delicious dinner. I made some oven fries and also tater tots. It's all about balance you know! I also made a really delicious dipping sauce. It's Just Mayo, smoked paprika, a little sriracha and a few drops of mesquite liquid smoke. Sooooo good!!
This was a really amazing dinner. BBQ baked tofu nuggets with garlic-y oven fries all dipped in Just Ranch.


And here's Afro sleeping with her favorite toy. I mentioned earlier this summer that I let her out on the deck with my supervision and she likes to try and sneak down the stairs. There are seven dogs that live in these apartments, and not one of the owners uses a leash. So yesterday she snuck down the stairs and out comes one of the dogs with her human. The dog is named Willow, and she is a full grown German Shepard! Luckily Willow is super sweet and didn't chase Afro up the stairs, but that was quite the scare for my little nosy girl. I would like to say it taught her a lesson, but this morning she was back at it trying to sneak down the stairs!




11 comments:

  1. Hi there! I have a lot of catching up to do! Your food looks awesome. I'm so hungry and am craving a lot of those things you mentioned. Because I haven't been around a kitchen to cook much lately and being on a hit and miss schedule It's been a bit weird to say the least. Hope to get back into it again, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!! I do too! It's been a bit weird here too. I'm working on getting back into a regular schedule here too!

      Delete
  2. Man, you should REALLY write a potato cookbook!! I need that oven-baked hash brown recipe, and you're so creative with the ways you prepare them and the sauces. I crave potatoes EVERY time I come over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have become inventive with potatoes! I feel like the different sauces and dishes has been the most help in fighting potato burn out!

      Delete
    2. I second Bianca - a potato cookbook!!!

      Delete
  3. Potato based sauce for a potato dish? You are a potato goddess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha , I was so pleasantly surprised by how delicious the potato cheese sauce turned out!

      Delete
  4. I am with Bianca, you need to write a potato cookbook! Every single potato dish you make sounds amazing. That cheesy sauce looks amazing and so creamy! Total potatoception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seriously surprised by how good the sauce was! And I was thinking I had nothing to cook!!

      Delete
  5. I need to take potato notes from your site! I am hopeless with them. Not sure why. XD I might try your potato sauce on potatoes. Looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks amazing, and the baked hash brown is such a great idea for a simple meal! I'm pretty sure that if you made a potato cookbook, it would quickly become my most-used cookbook! :D

    ReplyDelete