Tuesday, October 25, 2016

My Laptop is Sick

I'm typing this post at the library, and I  really do not like blogging in public. I've never been one to read or anything like that in public. I'm sensitive to the sounds, and why are we so close to each other? This girl likes her elbow room. The reason I'm writing this from the library is that something is seriously wrong with my laptop. Starting on Saturday it just started acting out of control. When I go to shut it down, it says that there is a task host window open. And it freezes once I go to any website. And it won't shut down on it's own, I have to shut it off with the button, which I know isn't the greatest. Yesterday I took it to a computer shop, and the guy immediately told me that the problem would be more to fix than what I paid for it, and started trying to sell me a whole new laptop. He was saying all of this before even looking at my computer! He was like a car salesman on steroids. I told him that I couldn't afford a new laptop, and so he tried selling me used laptops that were still close to a thousand dollars!! He tried selling me on financing a new one, and all of this stuff. It was like three or four guys that were like milling around and offering their two cents, and to be honest it was testosterone overload, and they were talking in ways that I didn't understand, and it was just not good. So, finally they agreed to fix it in three or four days, for almost what I paid for it. So, as I was walking home I was getting more and more upset. I called them when I got home and told them I couldn't afford to have it fixed at their prices which felt ridiculous, and that I would pick up my laptop this morning. So, today when I went to pick it up, I told them that I felt like I went to a used car lot, and I said that no one even really looked at my computer to see what was wrong before starting to try to sell me something. When I was complaining this morning, all three men were hovering around, and so I asked if there were any other employees who would like to join in so I could really feel outnumbered.
The funniest/saddest thing is that the guy who was trying to sell me stuff started saying how he thought I was so full of positive energy, and how he really wanted to help. I felt like he was insinuating that he made a mistake in thinking I was a nice person. I love how men can complain and be assertive, and they get respect but when a woman stands up for herself, well we are just the nastiest. I told him that I am a nice, positive person but that I also know when I am not being treated fairly.
Anyway, now they are offering to fix my computer for free because they "want everyone to be happy" I told them I need to think about it, so here I am blogging at the library and thinking about it.
It's hard when stuff like this happens and you're all alone. Anyway, I'm not going to get all dark and depressed on you. I am in public, so I'm trying to not get emotional.
I hope everyone's week is going better than mine!

11 comments:

  1. http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cps/5843312492.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking that up. I was so distressed about my computer, and was having such a hard time using it that I never thought to look on Craigslist!

      Delete
  2. There are loads of computer services on Craigslist. Some will come to your home. They all sound reasonable.

    http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cps/5770508956.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your laptop & that they didn't even bother to look at it before trying to sell you a new one. I would have been really uncomfortable with everyone hovering around, too. High-five for being assertive and standing up for yourself, though! :) I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say as someone who always fears confrontation, it felt pretty good.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you called them out on being smarmy twits!! Good for you! Totally sounds like they were trying to take advantage of your situation.
    But free is free so i hope you compromised on oetting them fix it for free ;)
    Hope that you were able to find some fun new books at the library on your visit
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did end up taking them up on their offer. I was going to go somewhere else out of pride, and then I realized that was silly. Free is free.

      Delete
  5. That's really shitty that they didn't even bother looking at the laptop before they have tried to pressure you into spending more money than you wanted to. I wonder how many people they have bullied into paying up.
    Good on you for standing up to them!
    I hope you can get your laptop fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. The guy didn't even look at my laptop before showing me new computers to buy. I definitely would never recommend them to anyone, especially people who don't know a whole lot about techie stuff.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like these guys were bad news. Or forget that people aren't looking for computers that a speked out to the max capacity. I KNOW there are computers that are less than $1,000. So shady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he just assumed right away that I would buy one of their laptops. I had never even heard of the brand! I mentioned to them when I went back that I would never spend that much money on a new laptop to begin with. And even if I were rich, I would do research before spending that money anyway.

      Delete