Monday, May 25, 2020

Gluten Free Bread Fail, Tacos plus Cats!!

Here is my first and possibly last attempt at gluten free bread! I noticed as it was baking, it smelled very strongly of cornbread, but the flour mix has no cornmeal. I also don't like cornbread, so that was troubling. I made two loaves instead of one, thinking it would be like my first attempt at banana bread, which I overfilled the pan. I should have overfilled the pan, because I have the teeny tiniest pieces of not very good bread.
It weirdly kind of tastes like cornbread, and it has that crumbly, almost cake like texture. Le sigh. The reason I say it might be my last attempt is because gluten free flour is freaking expensive. I think I just have to give up on gluten free foods, and just have naturally gluten free foods. Gluten free breads, pastas, tortillas, all of it is so extremely overpriced and is rarely good.
I bought a jar of vegan Bolognese sauce, and I still haven't had it because I dread the gluten free pasta.
It was kind if chilly yesterday, and I had to let the loaves rest and rise for an hour in a warm place. There were no warm places, so I set the loaves on my heating pad. Etta never misses a chance to force a cuddle, even with bread loaves!
I  made some tacos with this beefless ground from Trader Joe's. I think it doesn't get enough credit now with all the Impossibles and Beyonds.
It's $2.99 a container, definitely the best deal out there, and it tastes great!
Black bean and beefless beef tacos! I'm loving this Roja sauce I found awhile ago. It's smoky, and a little spicy but not too much.
Bubba likes to take over my yoga mat. I really just lay it down for him at this point.
And I spent an hour and thirty minutes watching a squirrels and birds video for cats! The other kitties will watch for a few minutes and get bored, but Joan and Roxy will watch an entire hour plus video and then look at me like "more?"







3 comments:

  1. Tacos are pretty much always a good idea!

    Sorry about the gluten free bread. My gluten-free friends are very particular about what kind of flour they use. One says the best is Bob's Red Mill. But if you don't like any of the gluten free things at the store, maybe it's a moot point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo about the gluten free bread! I have some cake recipes and stuff using gluten free flour if you'd like me to send them to you for using the rest of it up? Or have you finished the pack?

    I love seeing kitties watching TV! My girls were never interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, that's a shame about the gluten-free bread! At least Etta appreciated your efforts!
    Your tacos look wonderful, and Joan and Roxy are so cute with their videos!
    P.S. I scrolled too quickly the first time, and I thought that photo of Bubba was of a little kitten, hehe!

    ReplyDelete