Monday, May 11, 2020

Dill Pickle Hummus and Impossible Tacos!

I tried the new dill pickle hummus from Trader Joe's yesterday. I was afraid it would either taste too pickle-y, or not pickle-y enough. Well, I don't know how they did it, but the pickle to hummus ratio is perfect! You definitely get that dill pickle tang, but it doesn't assault your senses.
It tastes great with pretzels, but I think it would be an amazing spread on a sandwich. I've even seen people use hummus in place of mayo in potato salads, and this would be a great hummus to use for that.
I made some Impossible tacos last night! The first thing I noticed as I was cooking the Impossible ground is that it didn't have the overwhelming meaty smell that Beyond has. That is a definite win! It also crumbled as it cooked down a lot easier. I find that the Beyond kind of likes to stay in that brick, and I really have to work to get it to crumble for tacos. But as soon as the Impossible started cooking, it was very easy to stir it into crumbles. I should have tasted a bite plain, before I added the taco seasoning and black beans, but I was kind of turned off by how real it looked.
I only used half the package, so I'll make a burger sometime and see how that tastes. It's pretty amazing, and really shows how far vegan food has come just in the last few years really!






7 comments:

  1. I've actually never thought of putting hummus with potatoes, but it sounds delightful! Thanks for the review of the Impossible Ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've dipped fries in hummus, but the potato salad is new to me too. I saw some video of vegans who are oil free and they used hummus in their potato salad. It looked like it could be a decent sub for mayo.

      Delete
  2. WHAT?! So much to love in this post!! I must get to TJ's to get that hummus! It sounds amazing. And I had no idea Impossible was in stores now. How did I miss that? I prefer it over Beyond for sure! Love them both, but Impossible is more meaty, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some people on the East Coast getting the Impossible, but I thought it was a limited testing. Never did I think I'd see it in a regular old Smith's in SLC!!!
      The Impossible beats Beyond so hard!

      Delete
  3. That's such a good idea to use the dill pickle hummus in potato salad! I'll have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try it too. I think the dill pickle hummus would be great because of the nice pickle tang.

      Delete
  4. Dill pickle hummus potato salad? That sounds like a dream!!!

    ReplyDelete