Sunday, April 8, 2018

Vegan Food and Deals

Here's my super ugly smoothie I've been enjoying. It has spinach, blueberries, maca powder and banana. When blueberries are blended with any greens it's going to look weird. And unappetizing. But it tastes so, so good!
I have another coworker who mentioned to me that he tried vegan cheese on a pizza and found it "rubbery and weird" I know that too much daiya on a pizza is not good, even to me so I took that as a personal challenge to show him that vegan cheese can be creamy and yum, and not rubbery and weird. I made another batch of my mac and cheese. I also took some to another coworker who is having a birthday sometime this week. Their fave pasta is lasagna, but I don't like my coworkers enough to make vegan lasagna. I mean that is love. Anyway, my coworker loved it, and said it wasn't weird at all. It made me a little sad that he ate the mac and cheese with some chicken fingers from the deli. I felt strangely protective of my mac and cheese and didn't want it on the same plate as this gross food.
Now here's where I feel like a food hoarder or something, even though I definitely am not. I don't really eat oatmeal or pancakes or waffles, so I don't use maple syrup on the regular but when I saw this on the clearance shelves at work I felt like I couldn't not get it. It's organic pure maple syrup for three dollars!! I know it can be use as a sweetener for various sauces so I know I'll use it.
Last night was a really rough one at work. I am emotionally drained from people just being such dicks. I'm sorry that's the best way I can put it. So when I got home I did not feel like washing and peeling a bunch of potatoes so I just baked some tofu and made a quick peanut sauce. I also had a perfectly ripe avocado so of course I added that. I guess it's because I've eaten mostly potatoes for the past ten days but this tasted SO good! It almost made me forget about everything. Almost!



5 comments:

  1. When vegan food I prepare for others sees a similar fate, I just try to remind myself that for some they need small steps. My grandma still says, “how can you plan a menu without thinking about the meat first?”. I always respond that I’ve been doing it for eight years and I’m still alive.

    The tofu and peanut sauce do look delicious, and I’ve not been on the potato diet! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you are right that vegan lasagna is whole other level! That is a bummer he un-vegan-ed the meal but i’m thinking you deli probably doesn’t have chickenless options and a half vegan meal is better than no vegan meal.
    Great find on the maple syrup! You would have been crazy not to buy it- i don’t eat much in the way of pancakes and such but i do love adding maple syrup to baked oats or overnight oats
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick tip about the maple syrup. Since, like me, you don't use it that often, store it in the refrigerator after you open it or else it can get mold inside the bottle.

    I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about folks mixing meat with your vegan side dishes. Remember, realistically, you're never going to convert everyone into giving up meat. Even reducing the amount of animal products another person consumes can be viewed as a victory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you about the mac and cheese and meat. I cooked something for my Mom and I got a text saying how she was eating it with some cheese on top. It was just like "WHYY!?!"

    Nice steal on the maple syrup! It is good to find cheap deals with it, it is great sweetener.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd be foolish to pass up maple syrup at a price like that!
    Peanut sauce sounds like a good way to feel a bit better after a crappy day.
    I know what you mean about people putting non-vegan food with your vegan food. Sometimes I make something at home and my parents will put dairy cheese or ice cream on it and it makes me kind of sad. I mean, better than they are at least eating something vegan. But still.

    ReplyDelete