Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Eating Rainbow

I'm having kind of a hard week emotionally so I want to try and get as many nutrients as I can in my body because honestly I think the vitamins are the only thing keeping me sane. I had yesterday off so I really focused on eating/drinking the rainbow. This smoothie had frozen cherries, strawberries, spinach, maca powder, flax meal and banana.

While I was cleaning I had this carrot and red bell pepper juice. That might sound kind of weir but it's actually really tasty and very sweet. Plus it's great for your skin!
Someone I watch on YouTube has been using these beans for over a year and she loves them. I have been trying to find them for as long an have ha no luck. I've checked all the usual suspects, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers and have had absolutely no luck. I never would have thought to check at work, but the other night I was going to the back bathroom to hide on my break, and I happened to be walking down the bean aisle and look what I found! The elusive mayacoba bean! Apparently these are the gold standard bean to make the creamiest refried beans.
Since I had all those mangoes I decided I wanted to make a rice and bean bowl with some mango salsa. I've never had or made mango salsa but it just sounded delicious!
I soaked the beans overnight and then cooked them with garlic and onion powder. They cooked in about an hour so they don't take forever to cook. They are super creamy and delicious. Taste wise they have a mild flavor. Similar to a pinto I would say.
Here is the mango salsa I made. I just diced two mangoes and added diced jalapeno, red onion, lots of cilantro and lime juice. It turned out AMAZING!! I will be making this again for sure! Everything was really balanced and it wasn't too sweet.
This was my beautiful dinner. Mayacoba beans, avocado, mango salsa and coconut cilantro lime rice.
I got the recipe for the rice here. This was definitely a delicious meal with lots of flavors and textures. I loved the rice and will definitely be making that again!
Joan was cuddling in bed with me yesterday morning, so I let her watch some birds for cats videos. Everyone likes cartoons in bed every now and again!








10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous foods (well, with the exception of the yucky red onion). My cats are now officially over the bird videos and will settle for nothing less than the squirrel videos. Some of them are 8 horus long! Non-stop fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxy and Joan prefer bird videos. Actually their favorite are the videos with birds and squirrels!

      Delete
  2. The beans with rice and salsa looks like a perfect meal! I love salsa with mango in it. I am glad you were able to find the beans!
    I too have been known to seek refuge in the bathroom at work for some peace and quiet and just to be away from everything. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time trying mango salsa and I am hooked!!
      I always feel like the unpopular kid in school hiding in the bathroom!

      Delete
  3. Your dinner looks amazing! I've never had mango salsa, either; I'm intimidated by the idea of combining mangoes and onions, haha! Cute Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so scared to combine onion and mango too! I am seriously shocked by how delicious it is!!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry you are not feeling great emotionally right now but it seems like you are doing everything you need to do to take care of yourself. Your food is beautiful and vibrant and eating the rainbow (in it's natural form) is always a great thing! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm definitely trying to cram in as many nutrients as possible hoping it will somehow help.

      Delete
  5. Dinner looks yummy! I love mango salsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time having mango salsa. I was always scared of it, but I have changed my mind! It's delicious!

      Delete