Saturday, November 24, 2018

Feel Good Lentil Soup

I went all out for my mac and cheese on Thanksliving and used three different cheeses plus cashews, plus stuffing/dressing so I was feeling a little blah yesterday. I decided to stick with a smoothie and juice during the day, and a simple lentil soup for dinner. It must have worked because I feel back to normal today.
Usually I just throw whatever in a pot, especially when it comes to lentil soup. But I decided to write down what I did, and I'm so glad because I will definitely make this again. I also thought I would share because it is the season for soup!




                                     


                                                               Feel Good Lentil Soup

  • 1 Medium Onion, Diced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 Stalk Celery, Diced
  • 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
  • 1/4 Tsp. Curry Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp. Turmeric
  • 1/4 Tsp. Smoked Paprika 
  • 1 1/4 Tsp. Garam Masala 
  • 1/2 Cup Red lentils
  • 1/4 Cup Green Lentils
  • 2 to 3 Cups water
  • 1 Can Light Coconut Milk
Saute onion, garlic and celery in coconut or olive oil or water saute on medium heat for about four or five minutes. Add all the spices and saute for another minute or so. Add the lentils, water and coconut milk, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for thirty to forty minutes. You might need to add a little more water, depending on how thick or soupy you like your soup. I started with two cups of water, and ended up adding about 3/4 of a cup more. I also added about a tablespoon of sambal oelek and about a tablespoon of Bragg's liquid aminos. Those are optional, but I find that a splash of tamari, soy sauce, aminos gives soups and curries that little extra oomph.
This had the perfect amount of warm spices and creaminess from the red lentils an coconut milk. It really hit the spot! I had it with a gluten free roll, but if you aren't gluten free it would be great with some vegan Naan or even warmed pita bread!

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh that lentil soup looks incredible!! It is definitely the season for soup, I plan on eating tons of it to warm up! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been really into soups lately too. I see myself eating a lot of soup this winter!

      Delete
  2. I love lentil soup! I don't think I'm good at cooking lentils but if I get it right they're amazing. I know what you mean about not wanting to eat the day after Thanksgiving, too. It's hard to be interested in food after a feast day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm cooking lentils for a recipe where I kind of need them to keep their integrity I struggle, but I'm the master of lentil soup! I especially love the red lentils because they get so creamy when they're cooked down.

      Delete
  3. There's something so soothing and healing about a lentil soup. Definitely the thing if you're feeling a bit blah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a lentil soup with two lentils. It sounds really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lentil soup is always so healing; your recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete