Sunday, September 23, 2018

Frugal and Fancy Free

Yesterday's Mofo prompt was Fancy but Frugal. I'm definitely frugal, but not fancy. I had some humble ingredients that I decided to turn into a maybe not fancy but very pretty soup!
When I was at Trader Joe's I saw a new to me soup in their cold pre-made soups, sandwiches and wraps section. It was a Thai red curry carrot and sweet potato soup. I looked at the ingredients and knew I had to make it myself! I used butternut squash instead of carrot and ended up not using the peanut butter.
I tried to get artsy with the sriracha but in the end had nowhere to go.

                                      Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Red Curry Soup
  • 1 Medium Onion peeled and chopped
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • 1Meduim to Large Sweet Potato Peeled and Cubed
  • 2 1/4 Cup of cubed butternut squash fresh or frozen
  • 1 T. Coconut oil for sauteing 
  • 2 T. Thai Red Curry Paste
  • 1/2 Tsp. salt
  • 1/2 Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
  • 1 T. Tamari or Soy sauce
  • 1 T. Agave Nectar
  • 1 3/4 C. Water
  • 1 Can Light Coconut Milk
Saute onion and garlic in the coconut oil over medium heat for about three or four minutes. Add salt, crushed red pepper if using,sweet potato and the butternut squash and saute for a few more minutes. Add the curry paste, water and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Add the soy sauce and the agave nectar and simmer for about thirty minutes. Turn off the heat and blend until smooth and creamy.
The weather is slowly cooling down here and so that means more soup and lots more cuddles. I've been catching them in some super cute piles. It's very distracting!

5 comments:

  1. That is certainly fancy and beautiful to me! Those colors are gorgeous! The soup sounds really delicious and I love that you can make such a beautiful meal with such inexpensive ingredients.

    Kitty pile! Ahhhh I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It felt fancy to me for sure. I love the color too. It's very fall!
      I love them too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious! And sweet snuggly kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about presentation ^__~ I think it looks pretty fancy, and sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete