Saturday, July 17, 2021

Heavy Trader Joe's Haul

 I knew someone in Seattle who was a hoarder. Like the tv show, no exaggeration hoarder. She had both an insane amount of things,but she also really never cleaned because one, how could you with all the stuff in the way, and  I don't think it was important to her. I asked her one time how it all started, and she said she got depressed, and then one day her house was like this. I know all to well how depression can kind of make time stand still in a way, and then suddenly it's next year. Ever since hearing her explanation, I've made a rule for myself for when I get depressed. Three days maximum of losing it and letting things go like cleaning, self care, etc. That includes shopping for food! I really wanted to order from Whole Foods again, but I also knew a lot of things I needed are cheaper at Trader Joe's. I filled my cart at Whole Foods with my budget, and I just knew I could get more for my bucks at Trader Joe's. So, I forced myself on that bus and went to Trader Joe's! One point for frugality, zero depression!

Ginger, coconut milk, vegan caramelized onion dip, cilantro, shredded cabbage, dill pickle chips(not vegan), sriracha tofu, romaine lettuce, pita bread, potato, nectarines, plum, green pepper, tabbouleh style hummus, lightlife Chicken strips, frozen mango, spinach, kombucha

I got to the store right when they opened and at first they weren't busy, but by the time I got to the chip aisle it was picking up so I guess I didn't read the chip ingredients. I assumed since Lay's pickle chips are vegan these would be too. But sadly they have whey powder. I didn't notice till after I took the picture. I really wanted to snack on these yesterday too!! :(

Vegan drumsticks, tofurky slices, frozen strawberries, tofu, bananas, Mideast style feast,spicy lentil wrap, vegan gummies, Thai green chili sauce, fruit frenzy bars, spiced chai concentrate, garbanzo beans, red chili flakes, turmeric, lemons, fizzy water

You know how sometimes you're just in a bad way and a kind word or gesture from a stranger can make a difference? Well, my cashier was so freaking sweet, and I mentioned something about the bus and he was so worried about me getting home, he took extra care packing my fizzy water and said he would give me a ride if he weren't working. And he also thanked me for being so nice to talk to! I can't remember the last time anyone has said that to me! It really made my day, and it made the bus trip home easier. He was so nice I pulled a reverse Karen and called to compliment him and the store!


Joan is like me, she likes her alone time and seeks out safe places. It always makes me laugh when she tucks herself away but leaves her tail or a little tootsie hanging out!

2 comments:

  1. That Joan tootsie is just sooooo precious!
    It is such a good achievement go out to do groceries when you are depressed. I am proud of you. <3 And amazing how a nice interaction with a stranger can just really brighten up a day, what a lovely cashier. Boo about the chips, why must they put dairy powder in everything??? I recently saw a plant-based matcha powder that was coconut milk powder based and yet STILL HAD MILK POWDER IN IT. Literally WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story about the Trader Joes worker! It just goes to show what a huge difference we can make by doing or saying one little, kind thing to someone. You never know what a person is going through. On that note, I'm sorry you're struggling. Depression is awful. Hang in there! We're all rooting for you (and I would give you a ride to Trader Joes but I live in Florida!)

    ReplyDelete