Tuesday, March 31, 2020

My Favorite Lentil Soup

Here in SLC we had an unusually grey and rainy winter, and so far spring has been grey, with two snowstorms and now days of grey and rain. Not to mention the earthquake and hundreds of aftershocks. Gloom on top of gloom.
Yesterday was another cool, grey day and my anxiety was getting out of control so I decided to make some lentil soup. Lentils are so nutritious, and inexpensive so I definitely try to always have them on hand. They have fed me through some of my brokeist days and I owe them a lot.  I wrote down the recipe because well, it's delicious and healthy and I know a lot of us are having to really watch our budget more than usual.
Lots of extra nooch on top!!


                                                            My Favorite Lentil Soup
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt and Pepper
  • 1/2 Tsp. Italian Seasoning
  • 3/4 Tsp. Fennel Seed
  • 1/2 Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
  • 3/4 Cup Green Lentils
  • 1/4 Cup Brown Rice
  • 1 T, Tamari or Soy Sauce
  • 1/4 C. Tomato Sauce(or 2 T. Tomato Paste)
  • 2 T. Nutritional Yeast
  • 5 to 6 C. Water
Saute the onion and garlic in a little oil(or water if you're oil free) on medium heat for about three or four minutes with the salt and pepper. Next, add the Italian seasoning, fennel seed and crushed red pepper. If you're using tomato paste, add that now too to cook the rawness out. Saute for a few more minutes, and now add the lentils, rice tomato sauce if not using paste, water, tamari or soy sauce and the nutritional yeast. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for thirty to forty minutes. Depending on how thick you like your soup, you might need to add a bit more water. I ended up adding around seven cups of water total, and also added a bit more salt at the end.


The fennel seed gives it a sausage-y flavor without having to use any expensive faux meats. I've served this to many non vegans over the years and it's always been a hit. This will make a nice big pot and it's super inexpensive! Oh, and if you have kale on hand it's a great addition!
I had my soup with a gluten free grilled cheese with homemade cashew cheese!! I feel like soup and grilled cheese is such a classic comfort meal.
I went for a little morning walk yesterday and I saw this pretty tree with interesting leaves and tiny little pink buds. Spring is my favorite season, and usually I feel refreshed and renewed. It's hard this year though. So I'm grateful for all the signs of life and beauty.


5 comments:

  1. My lentil soup is very similar to yours, except that I use an entire can of crushed/diced tomatoes and I add smoked paprika for a meaty taste. Never thought of adding fennel. That's a great idea. I replicate the sausage flavor in my veggie version of my mother's chickpea, cabbage and sausage soup by adding caraway seeds, so fennel is probably delicious with the lentils. Thanks for the tip.

    Hope you're hunkering down and staying well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, bookmarking this recipe! I have a feeling lots of lentils will be in my future! Love that they're shelf-stable and cheap! And I love the idea of nooch on top. :-) Agreed on spring. It's my second fave (I'm a summer girl first!), and this spring seems so hampered by the stupid coronavirus that's ruining everything. I've been spending lots of time outside though because it makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lentil soup so much! I need to make some soon. It's a great idea adding fennel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds delicious. I love the nooch added, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your recipe! And the grilled cheese made with your homemade cashew cheese sounds absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete