Saturday, March 30, 2019

Ms. Potato Head

I went to Sprouts and Trader Joe's yesterday and before I show my haul, I wanted to say that I stuck with my vegan ketoish experiment for seven days, and I'm not experimenting any longer. The first couple of days I felt great,and I didn't really feel deprived but days five and six were pretty bad. I wasn't craving sugar or any kind of junk food, instead I was seriously craving fruit and lentils. I'm uncomfortable with any plan or diet or whatever you want to call it where I'm denying myself fruits and lentils, but cramming in fatty things.
I've also noticed my thoughts going into obsessive territory surrounding food and weight and all of those things. So I'm just going to continue to do my best to eat a normal, well balanced diet. I'm still going to have no processed sugar because why not? I'm not craving it so why have it? And now that I'm having fruit I shouldn't even need it!
Live probiotic soa,blackberries,raspberries,ataulfo mangoes(!!!!), cuties,raw cashews,fuji apples, hibiscus flowers,powdered ginger,vanilla protein powder,basil

One day last week I picked up a vanilla protein powder at Target an put it in a smoothie and I was VERY surprised that I didn't hate it. So I decided to try Sprouts brand and Vega. I don't know what I'm doing guys, I'm just trying stuff, ya know?
Carrots, coconut milk,tofu, potatoes(!!!!) dish soap,vegan mayo, kombucha,red onion, romaine,lemons, avocado

The Hellman's vegan mayo is from Smith's. I forgot to get vegan mayo at Trader Joe's, and Smith's seems to have wiped their shelves of all of the Just condiments. They used to have the mayo, ranch and thousand island. I'm kind of distressed about it to be honest. Just mayo and ranch are two of my favorite condiments!
I have to say thank you a million times to Ttrockwood for suggesting this flavor! I love humm kombucha, their hopped grapefruit is one of my all time favorites, but for some reason I was scared to try this flavor. I don't know what I was scared of, I love coconut and lime. But you said you loved this flavor so I picked one up and it is so freaking refreshing! I woke up to snow yesterday morning after a few sixty degree days so this taste of summer was needed!
All I wanted last night was POTATOES!! I just made some chunky wedges and seasoned them with lemon pepper, garlic powder, nooch, and salt and pepper. I also made the last Dr. Praeger;s burger I had in my freezer just to get it out of there! Served with pickles and vegan mayo, Carolina gold BBQ and a little A1 for dipping. Potatoes, I'll never leave you again!!
I also had a Fuji apple for dessert, and between no sugar and not having fruit for a week it tasted like candy!!


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you were able to recognize that you were not feeling great and that you didn't continue when you felt uncomfortable, especially if you were feeling restrictive based on your past. I think your haul looks amazing, I wish I could find the probiotic soda! The kombucha flavor sounds amazing and that dinner plate looks so yum! Now I want pickles, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome that you were able to recognise what your body needed, and follow that, as well as tag a possible restrictive mindset before it happened. It sounds like you and potatoes had a really wonderful reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you learned a lot during your week of low carb, there were certainly some tasty looking meals. But yeah, if you don’t feel awesome and it plays with your head then it’s obviously not sustainable.
    Glad you like that coconut lime booch! It is super refreshing :))
    There are definitely (finally) some good vegan protein powders out there- I don’t have them much anymore unless I’m making a smoothie and somehow don’t have any nuts/seeds/nut butter to add in (if i have a smoothie without nut butter I’m hungry like an hour later!)
    I made chia pudding yesterday and thought of you ;) i had some semi defrosted frozen raspberries on top and it was fantastic, will certainly repeat
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got what you needed from your keto experiment. I've heard that there is a real slump with going keto, and it seems to be a lot of work. I certainly wouldn't do it unless I medically needed to.

    I love protein powders, but I know it is also a flavor that has been growing on me. lol I crave it, but I know it isn't always desirable (you know, like when people like burnt marshmallows lol)

    ReplyDelete