Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Hauls and Hope

So yesterday was grocery day. I was going to go to Sprouts for some produce, but I got a late start and it was way too hot to do a lot of walking, especially when lugging groceries. I went to Natural Grocers and Trader Joe's. I didn't get too much because I plan on going to Sprout's either Friday or Saturday to get some more produce. They're having one of their famous 72 hour sales over the weekend with some AMAZING deals!
Once again at Natural Grocers I came across a new to me vegan product! It really seems like in the last year or so vegan meats are exploding!!
I saw The Stallion which is an Italian Sausage, Pit Boss which is a pulled pork type of thing, Comrade Cluck which is a chicken, and one other that I can't remember. They're made with vital wheat gluten plus other things like chickpea flour and of course seasonings. I'm of course always super excited to see new vegan stuff because that shows that the demand is growing and that's what really matters. But I have to say lately it also disappoints me in a way because the prices are just out of control. These are over seven dollars a package, close to eight. For me that's almost one third of my weekly food budget. And veganism already has a reputation with a lot of people as an expensive, complicated diet and this doesn't help. It's so frustrating. UUUGGGHH. 
Watermelon,potatoes,peanut butter,Epsom salts,booch,Thai red curry paste,avocado,green onion

Yes that is packing paper next to the stuff. They love packing paper so whenever I get my Chewy order I let them play with it until they've shredded it!
Sweet chili sauce,lime, sweet potato, agave syrup,onion,complete cookie,sun dried tomatoes,spinach,frozen strawberries,cauliflower gnocchi,tofu, green tea,avocado, lentil and potato curls
I finally remembered to get the lentil and potato snacks Sarah! They are so tasty! I had some hummus laying around and they are really great with hummus! I was also excited to get the cauliflower gnocchi again. They have been out for weeks everywhere and I missed them so! I'm going to make a sun dried tomato pesto to go with them. It's going to be sooooo good!
I don't want to say too much and jinx myself, but one of the many jobs I've applied for that I really want called me yesterday and I had a phone interview and the person said the owner should be calling me in a day or two. The phone interview seemed to go well, I feel like I came off as a bit desperate, but that's how I feel right now, DESPERATE to do anything else. Anyway, please send all the good vibes you can spare my way, I need them!

16 comments:

  1. how much does it cost a week to be vegan? i would like to be vegan but scared i can't afford vegan food to be healthy. how much money do i need a week to buy vegan food so i don't starve or become sick? thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not expensive but you do have to make time to do some cooking. Take time to read about vegan nutrition to be sure to get enough veggies, protein, fat, etc. Where you live and shop and what you already have in the pantry will make a big difference in cost but weekly you can eat healthy for one for about $25 or so.
      These are some helpful links:
      http://sweetpotatosoul.com/2018/01/cheap-vegan-meal-plan.html
      https://plantbasedonabudget.com/plant-based-on-a-budget-challenge-1-person-week-1/
      This is a really great website:
      https://www.thecheaplazyvegan.com/2017/06/24/20-vegan-meal-prep-7-full-days/
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
    2. I typically spend thirty dollars a week for all of my meals. If I have a little extra I might spend forty, but that's usually if I buy a splurge item or need more pantry basics. Like Unknown says to spend that little money you do have to o some cooking, but honestly it can be really easy, you don't have to spend hours in the kitchen.
      I kind of pride myself on being a budget vegan because really I have no choice, I am on the low end of the pay scale. But I really never feel deprive of good food. You would be amaze what you can do with beans, potatoes, rice and tofu. I would just say make sure you have a decent amount of condiments and spices because that's what really helps to make tasty and different cheap meals.
      I swear it can be done and there are a lot of us vegans who thrive on very little money at the grocery!

      Delete
    3. i thought it was going to cost a lot more! i will start using your tips next week with groceries & see how it goes. i hope to be a budget vegan too! thank you so much for the help.

      Delete
    4. Beans, rice, potatoes and tofu are pretty inexpensive anywhere. Buy dried beans when you can, it's cheaper than cans. You can cook the whole bag at once and freeze individual portions. I have never in my adult life not been on a super tight budget. Please feel free to ask me anything, being a budget vegan is seriously all I know!

      Delete
    5. It's all about how you make the transition. Like vegan cream cheese is much more expensive than dairy cream cheese. BUT it is much cheaper to buy beans than other meat products. An easy way to start is to try and incorporate a cheap vegan meal a few times a week. That way you don't feel the temptation to get the "fake" products until you are ready.

      Delete
  2. ALL the good vibes are heading your way now!! That’s great news!
    And honestly i have interviewed for and *not* gotten a lot of jobs over the years- which all worked out for the better in the end. If it’s meant to be it will happen ;))
    I wonder if the new vegan faux meats are so expensive because they rationalize omnis will pay so much for omni proteins...? Bizarre and very frustrating though.
    Those trader joe lentil snacks are amazing!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I tend to feel the same way about jobs.But I really want this one so all my fingers are crossed!

      Delete
    2. Also that might be one reason for the cost, but at the same time I see that yes some meat is very pricey, especially organic, grass fed but also thereare a lot of choices that are really cheap and that is what I see people buying more. So those people would laugh at the price of vegan meat, and they already are kind of skeptical of veganism, and then they see the cost and it's going to send them right back to the meat aisle. When me being a vegan comes up, I swear I never get the protein question, I get the isn't is so expensive question. And so these products that are so freaking pricey are not helping.

      Delete
  3. Well dude, you're officially a vegan "influencer." I just went on the No Evil website and ordered a few of their mock meats. I think I might e-mail them and let them know I discovered them through your blog. Maybe they'll send some love your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's so cool! I think the chicken one looks really good. What did you order, and you have to let me know what you think! I hope it's amazing!

      Delete
  4. Crossing my fingers for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will cross my fingers for you!

    The cost of vegan specialty products is getting a bit out of hand. Because we have both the import costs and the 'vegan' costs, imported products here are expensive, as you would expect. But a lot of local products are also super pricey. In fact, some have increased their prices! At least in terms of some of the international products, Australia does import a lot and we are starting to see them in major supermarkets as well, so prices have gone down a little since they first arrived. But still! I know I am lucky to be able to buy these without affecting my budget, but just on principle I have really slowed down in buying things that I can tell are just costing too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because people scream "buy local" and I get it, but a lot of times local items are beyond expensive. I feel like even if all of a sudden I was able to make/have more money, I still wouldn't buy a lot of this stuff on principle. It's the only way prices will go own is if companies see people aren't willing to pay those prices.

      Delete
  6. Sending good vibes. I hope the job works out.

    I am hoping many times the expensive price tag on vegan food is because they are paying their workers good wages.... but that might not be the case. I know the profit margin for food products is pretty small. There is also a LOT of regulations, which can cost a hefty chunk of change. I was reading a book on fermentation and one of the suggestions they make if you want to start of business is pretty much, try and get away with as much as you can before the government has to step with all the regulations otherwise you would never get off the ground. I saw this brand of fake meat at my local health food store and have been wanting to try it, but even with the sale price of $6 I just can't shell out that cash. *sigh* I would like to help, but my budget is getting tighter and tighter as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete