Sunday, October 15, 2017

Soup and Cats for the Vegan Soul

This is the delicious coconut curry butternut squash soup I made the other day. It was so easy thanks to the canned butternut squash I got from Trader Joe's. I just sauteed some garlic in a little coconut oil, and added some curry powder and crushed red pepper. Then I added the squash and a can of coconut milk. I let it all simmer while I cooked some rice and baked some tofu for croutons. 

Sorry for the crappy kitchen lighting! This was my dinner last night. Jasmine rice, leftover butternut squash soup with a Bombay burger on top. This was a really delicious combo. The Bombay burger and the soup really complimented each other.
I wanted to mention this kombucha from Trader Joe's. I had been eyeing it over the summer, and I finally decided to try it on Friday. I didn't even read the label because it's kombucha right? I drank it while waiting for the bus, and it was really tasty. Well, after drinking most of it I noticed that it is made with honey!!! I didn't even know that was possible. When I was researching how to brew your own booch, everything I read said you have to use real sugar for the fermentation process to work. I feel so bad that I drank it and worse that I didn't read the label. I just always thin of booch as a safe thing to buy without having to read the label. Lesson learned. I just thought I would warn other people. And from now on I'll be reading kombucha labels!
I had a rough night at work yesterday. I mentioned that standing in one spot has been really making my back ache, well it's Halloween time and we of course sell pumpkins. Some of them over thirty pounds. So yesterday I lugged at least fifteen over thirty pound pumpkins from the cart onto the scale and then back into the cart. My back hurts so much I can hardly stand it. I barely slept and sometimes if I move the wrong way the pain is so excruciating I immediately start crying. I don't know how I'm going to get through these next two weeks with these pumpkins. Anyway, as always my girls cheered me up when I got home!
This has always been one of Roxy's favorite poses. She looks like such a little lady don't you think?



13 comments:

  1. Awwww. Your cat is so adorable. <3
    That soup looks delish (lighting or not). I love the sound of tofu croutons! I also haven't spied the Trader Joe's canned butternut squash yet. Likely because I'm so peeved that they continue to be out of pumpkin bagels (my favorite pumpkin treat). :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a lot of people with pumpkin bagels in their cart when I was there the other day. I need to try them if they're that tasty! I hope you find them soon!

      Delete
  2. I did the same thing with that kombucha brand (I think it is the same brand) They have some fun flavors so when i looked at the label AFTER buying it, I was pretty bummed out. I think they add it after the fermentation process?

    I hope your back feels better. It is awkward way to lift 30lbs (out a shopping cart)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so crazy. Like why even add the honey? I was bummed too because A) I don't want to eat/drink honey and B) I really liked the flavor!
      My back is still so sore it's almost unbearable. It is so awkward!

      Delete
  3. That soup sounds delicious!!
    I make my own kombucha now and have never seen a version that uses honey, that's weird. Don't let it upset you too much, that's an innocent mistake and certainly you won't again.
    Can you ask for help from a coworker to lift heavy pumpkins? Or if the customer looks like a strong person ask them to help lift it onto the scale...? In the meantime some yoga poses and stretching and a hot water bottle or hot pad can help some. When i had back pain problems my dr told me to take 4 tylenol at a time which may help you get some sleep.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was so good! I tried making butternut squash soup when I first went vegan, but my cooing skills have improved so this was much better!
      I had a coworker help with pumpkins yesterday. My back hurts worse today. I need to buy some tylenol because I am desperate for some relief. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. Check the cupboards and such in common areas at work, everywhere i have worked seems to have packets of tylenol or advil around somewhere. Even the generic stuff works fine just make sure it's the same active ingredient as tylenol and seriously start with 4 x 200g dose. Generally doctors are useless for back pain anyhow. I'm glad a coworker was helping you today! Please be sure to keep getting help with them
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  4. That's weird about the Kombucha. Over here it has a different name, it's called Jun if it's made with honey. We accidentally bought a granola the other week and ate most of the pack before realising it had honey in it. I hope your back pain eases. I remember when I first started working in wine shops how I would hurt from the constant lifting. We had pukka samples in work again last week so I'm putting a package together for you. Sending love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to do with honey. There are just certain things you assume are vegan and they are except for the dang honey!
      My back is really hurting. It's scary when you can't go to a doctor and you just have to kind of self diagnose. I'm terrified I'm going to really injure myself. All my years of being a server and bartender and I've never had a backache like this!
      You know how I love pukka! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. I have been craving something like that soup! WOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! And so easy with canned butternut squash!

      Delete
  6. Your soup sounds amazing! Hoping your back feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I hope your back feels better soon. Stupid pumpkins. :(
    Sneaky honey is so annoying! It happens to all of us, we live in this ridiculous non-vegan world, people try and slip animal products into everything. I have not seen kombucha with honey before either.

    ReplyDelete