Saturday, October 14, 2017

Another Vegan Haul

I was off yesterday and finally made it to Trader Joe's for some groceries. I also stopped at Natural Grocers for a few things. It feels good to have food in my apartment! I've been picking up a few things here and there at work and I don't like doing that. As I've mentioned the store I work at is very expensive for a lot of things. And as I've learned more about the company I really don't like supporting them so I'm happy to be back to normal.
The few things I got from Natural Grocers. Nag Champa, one of my favorite flavors from GT's, carrot turmeric ginger. It's a seasonal flavor and it's really nice. Green tea with Dandelion, and Hail Merry Meyer lemon tarts.
Perfect dessert!

tofu,spinach,spud crunchies, green onions,vegan shreds,gluten free pasta, green chilis, frozen strawberries
Jasmine rice, tomato paste, olive tapenade, coconut oil,butternut squash, avocado,coconut mil, cannelini beans, white onion, corn tortillas,lemons, bananas, lentils
I was super excited to see organic canned butternut squash next to the canned pumpkin. I would eat so much more butternut squash soup if they were easier to cut! Thanks Trader Joe's for making my soup dreams come true!
Here's a close up of the can. I have to ask them if it's seasonal like the pumpkin the next time I'm there. I might have to stock up!

Little buddy was hanging around during the day yesterday so I got a little better picture! I still can't get too close but we are making progress. He is the original kitty I was feeding, and now there are about four or five who come around. I haven't named him yet but something will come to me. He's a handsome little fellow. Please keep your fingers crossed I can get him inside before winter. Believe it or not we're supposed to have our first freeze tonight. It's only mid October!!!


9 comments:

  1. The lemon tarts look like a nice treat! Awwww, sweet kitty; hopefully he will continue to become more trusting & comfortable around you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lemon tarts are sooooooo delicious! And they're under two dollars at Natural Grocers!
      I really hope he starts trusting me soon. It got really cold last night and I just feel so helpless.

      Delete
  2. Tinned pumpkin is just not a thing in Australia, I guess because we don't have pumpkin pies. I can get it sometimes from import shops. But I find the flavour of that pumpkin to be less than great. I much prefer the flavour of butternut! Sometimes we can find butternut squash pre-chopped, which is super handy. But mostly I just have to hack away at it. At least it is easier to cut compared to some of the Australian varieties of pumpkin... you practically need a machete to get through them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had a few savory pumpkin dishes, and I have to agree with you, I much prefer butternut squash. I'm so happy to find it canned, I get really scared when I'm cutting into one. This just makes it so easy. Plus when I made my soup I didn't even need to use a blender since the squash was already pureed!!

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried that seasonal GT kombucha yet and need to fix that asap! Nice find on the mary's tarts :)) are you anywhere near a target store? It's not easy for me to get to but i went today and they have justin's cups on sale 2 packets of two for $3! I also found a great price on the Ripple milk and lotus foods vegan ramen which was exciting.
    I think the butternut at TJs is seasonal the same as the pumpkin, through the holidays. I love that olive tapenade! Ok fine, i love all olives, but it's great to add a serious punch of flavor with just a small amount.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a Target in a mall near me. I'll have to Google it. I miss Target to be honest!
      I kind of figured the butternut squash was seasonal. I will definitely have to stock up because it's just so easy to use it for soup!
      I love olive tapenade for that very reason, a little bit adds so much flavor. And that jar from Trader Joe's is only $1.99 so yes, lots of flavor for very little money!

      Delete
  4. awesome finds! I love seeing your grocery hauls! Progress on the kitty friend! Keep at it!!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are slowly making progress, but I just feel so helpless because they're out in the cold.

      Delete
  5. It is nice seeing more purees in cans! I know I've even seen sweet potato. The wegman's near us started to sell various veggie purees, including carrot, cauliflower, and I think broccoli? These are really pricey though.

    ReplyDelete