Monday, May 15, 2017

Better Than Takeout!


I know I've mentioned this sauce before, but it is so worth repeating. If you haven't tried this, you really should. It is sweet and a little spicy and just absolutely amazing. It's great with tofu, veggies, with a spoon, or as I discovered last night with jackfruit and mushrooms!
I sauteed the mushrooms and jackfruit after I shredded it in a little coconut oil, and after a few minutes added a little coconut aminos and once that was absorbed I added a few glugs of this sauce, turned the heat to low and let everything simmer away while I made the rice. The whole meal came together in twenty minutes and was super duper delicious. I also added a little crushed red pepper to the veggies and sriracha at the end cause I'm a five star gal. This was better than most take out I've ever gotten in my life. It was also a low calorie meal. I learned that a whole can of jackfruit only has ninety calories! I find jackfruit to be not that filling so I like to bulk it up with mushrooms. The Trader Joe's jackfruit gets a huge thumbs up from me. It's inexpensive and very easy to work with. Some canned jackfruits I've tried I had to simmer in some water or broth to tenderize it before I could shred it. But this was very easily shreddable right out of the can. This is going to definitely become a regular meal for me.
Now that spring is here, the birds have been really active, and thee are lots of trees in front of my apartment. They also land on the railing of the deck and hang out. This makes Joan and Kanye very very happy!
And here's Joan sleeping with her favorite mouse yesterday. This is seriously how she was sleeping!



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I couldn't believe when I saw her sleeping like that!

      Delete
  2. Omg, JOAN! That is seriously TOO CUTE. I'll have to try that sauce! I'm hooked on the TJ's Roasted Garlic & Sriracha BBQ sauce. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sriracha sauce too, it's so good! This one is thinner than most BBQ sauces and it's just really unique. I love it so much!

      Delete
  3. Joan is too adorable! Was the mouse already there and she curled up with it? Or did she take it to bed with her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She actually took it to bed with her! She was kind of playing with it, and then when she was ready to sleep she curled up with it!

      Delete
  4. Your bowls continue to blow me away! YUMMERS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bowl looks perfect; mushrooms & jackfruit sound like a great combination! Joan is so cute sleeping with her mouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushrooms and jackfruit really go well together. The mushrooms make the dish a bit more filling.
      I almost died when I saw Joan sleeping like that!

      Delete