Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Tuesday Musings

Well, I braved the mall yesterday and got myself a few thangs for the warmer weather. I am a tried and true thrift store shopper, but I do usually let myself buy a few new things a year, and supplement the rest with thrift finds. It's hard when you need something specific, like a pair of jeans or something to always shop in a thrift store. I truly hesitated about showing what I got because I know the best and most ethical thing is to shop local, or find an American Apparel or something, but truth be told I can't afford to shop local. There are some amazing clothes shops or I guess boutiques in Ballard, but I can't even afford anything on their clearance racks. When I was a nanny, my boss one time bought a pair of shoes at one of the shops in Ballard, and they were insanely expensive. She told me it was okay, because the shoes were so well made they would last forever and all that. But the problem with that for people who live paycheck to paycheck is that you can't invest in your future like that. You have to buy the cheap shoes you can afford, and pray they at least last until you get paid again, and you can replace them, and so they cycle goes. Or, if you need clothes, as in all your clothes have been worn down to threadbare status, you need several things, and you can't afford to "invest" in that one great locally made shirt that is going to be out of style in five minutes. Also, on a side note shoes last longer for people who have several pairs of shoes, and also drive cars. No matter how 'Merican and well made shoes are, they don't last as long for people who might only own one pair of shoes, and for the most part walk everywhere. Trust me, I am speaking from a lifetime of experience. Sorry, I swear I could write a book on my frustration with the buy local, buy organic movement, and some of the judgment that comes with it. But that's not my plan for today! So, judge me or don't, here are the few things I bought to help me get through the summer. I wasn't going to get shoes, but I thought these sandals were adorable, and they were in the clearance section for six dollars, so I decided to get them. I thought they could be worn with the dress if I needed to look a little nicer. Like, flip flops for daytime, these sandals for the evening, or something like that!
two flow-y tanks, one high waisted jean skirt, one dress and one pair of sandals

When I'm in the water, I am a mermaid for sure
These sandals are made out of synthetic ingredients, no gross leather. Chunk approves.
I also needed to get some more tea lights for my salt crystal candle holders, so I ran across the street to Target, and they had the Truffle Just Mayo, so I just had to! I don't even know what to expect, and I'm a little scared, but I had to try it!
I don't know what to use it for. For some reason, I feel like I should pair it with mushrooms, maybe slather it on a Portobello burger or something? I just feel like I trust Hampton Creek with my taste buds 100%! And to touch back to my rant from above, one of their specific goals is to make these vegan products accessible to the masses, and that includes making sure it isn't priced in the ridiculous range. For that reason alone I support them more than a million percent!
I randomly thought of this mushroom quesadilla that I had a long time ago, back in my pregan days. I don't even know where it was that I had this quesadilla, maybe I made it myself because I don't eat out often. Who knows, but it wouldn't leave my mind. I remember it had really delicious sauteed mushrooms, and two kinds of cheese, I think one was maybe goat cheese. I had a little bit of the Go Veggie chive and garlic spread, and a little bit of daiya, so while I was at Target I picked up some mushrooms and tortillas and made my foggy memory become a bright reality.
I sauteed the mushrooms in a little coconut oil with some garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and nutritional yeast. I had to stop myself from eating just the mushrooms! Then I just smeared some of the spread, the mushrooms and a sprinkling of daiya. I cooked the quesadillas in the same pan that I sauteed the mushrooms in, so it was a one pan meal! I used some Trader Joe's tahini sauce as a sour cream, and a little Tapatio to spice things up. It was sooooooo good, I will be making this a lot this summer. Dinner was ready in under twenty minutes, and it was so satisfying. I sometimes forget how meaty and delicious mushrooms are. Mental not, buy shrooms more often!
Happy Tuesday!



10 comments:

  1. Ooooh cute clothes!! I love the mermaid top (I think it's a top?), I'm totally a mermaid in the water too. I love being in the water but rarely find myself at a pool or the beach. The mushroom quesadilla looks so good! Grilled mushrooms are a staple of mine for the summer. You know I'm not a fan of Mayo but I bet that would be good on a mushroom burger topped with caramelized onions and spinach. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it's one of the tanks I got. I never liked mayo or ranch as a non vegan, and with mayo I am definitely on the less is more camp, but it;s funny how now I enjoy vegan versions of both!

      Delete
  2. Just Mayo TRUFFLE? Wth!? Nice!!!! I wonder how LONG it will take for us to see these NEW products on the east coast...sigh...I have to live my vegan life wants and needs thru your blog vicariously in the meantime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next time you stop in Erie, check out Target, I bet they have some of the Just Mayo stuff. I was actually rather surprised to see the vegan selection at that Target, especially for Erie!

      Delete
  3. Last time I went to Target in Erie I wasn't thrilled actually...sigh...doesn't mean I won't go back and try again tho :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, maybe the Wegman's in Erie? The one on Peach stree close to the Target is shockingly vegan friendly for such a vegan hostile town like erie! I think I would have lost it if it weren't for Wegman's and the Co-op!

      Delete
  4. It's fun to see what your clothing style is like. So far we have mostly seen food and photographs of your hometown. But I totally understand what you are saying about shoes never lasting no matter how nice they are if you wear them everyday. My sister works for DealNews, a website that reports on various sales, and she was looking out for a nice deal on flats for me. She found these $80 flats on sale for $30 (this was like 10 years ago too) and I was so excited to finally have a nice pair of shoes.. and they got worn down after a year. Granted I would wear them everyday and walk several miles in one day, but still. I know my Father would take his nice shoes in to a shoe repairman every so often to get them fixed, but that is a profession that is disappearing now that clothing is so disposable. I never have any luck with buying shoes at second hand stores. Like ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you used to see seamstress shops, and like you said shoe repair shops. But yea, not so much anymore. It's sad how disposable we've become. I have only ever found one pair of thrift shoes. And the only reason they worked is because they were practically brand new! But, I do feel better getting new shoes. I don't feel too wasteful because I wear them into the ground!

      Delete
    2. The closest I get to thrift store are hand me downs. Sadly that means getting fancy leather shoes that aren't so practical. I have been learning to turn them down because 1) leather 2) how many heals do I need? I wear them on super duper rare occasions.

      Delete
    3. Ha ha, I hear you there. I am terrified of heels! I swear I should live on an island, because I'm such a bare foot type of gal! But heels always make me feel like I'm going to twist my ankle!

      Delete