Saturday, May 26, 2018

Gluten Free and Vegan Pizza Making

I've been craving pizza so I picked up some gluten free flout at Trader Joe's this week. I haven't done a lot of gluten free baking because gluten free flour is expensive, an a lot of the recipes require a lot of extra stuff. Ingredients I've never worked with like xanthan gum and all kinds of other stuff. It's intimidating, and also  just don't have the budget or even desire to track down all these weird ingredients. So I wanted to see if I could make a simple pizza crust with no extra ingredients. I didn't even add yeast because it doesn't really seem to help with gluten free flour.
This was my gluten free dough ball. I added garlic powder and Italian seasoning for a little extra flavor.
I also made a super quick pizza sauce. I just thinned out some tomato paste with water and added Italian seasoning, salt, garlic and onion powder and lots of nooch. Under one dollar and made in under five minutes.
I also made some lentil "sausage" that I didn't snap for whatever reason. I remember thinking I should take a picture, and that's that. I also added sliced pepperoncini because they are probably my number one favorite pizza topping. I also love just eating them right out of the jar!!
I was going to post the recipe for the crust, but I need to make it one more time. I think I should have baked the crust with no toppings first. I was looking at other recipes and most of them called for a pre bake.
Gluten free is frustrating because of the cost. Even at Trader Joe's the gluten free flour is $3.99 for a one pound bag!! That's about three and a half cups. I used two and a half cups for the dough and I have about a cup left. Not really a good deal. Trader Joe's has gluten free pizza crusts in the frozen section for $3.49 and it comes with two crusts!
The warm weather really makes Kiki love lounging on her back. And Etta is laying in her favorite spots, half on the bathroom floor half in the hall. She likes drinking from the sink so this way she's ready to pounce when I go in!
Happy Caturday!



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a worthy pizza at the end! Although, surprisingly maybe the premade crusts are a better deal if that’s what you want the flour for.
    I just saw new GF hot dog buns at TJs today, those can be fun for sandwich fillings. I’ll never forget the time we didn’t have regular bread around and used hot dog buns for grilled cheese- my sister and i were young and thought this was just hysterical!
    You have some smart kitties, bathroom sink water is a kitty delicacy for some odd reason
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out the buns. A lot of Trader Joe's gluten free breads have egg or honey in them. It's such a bummer.
      I've been thinking about getting one of those cat water fountains, but I remember Dylan never care for those. But you're so right Etta lives for sink water! And Roxy and Joan love to drink out of the toilet!! Cats!

      Delete
    2. Oh shoot, i didn’t even look at the other ingredients for the hot dog buns, just noticed they were GF...!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  2. I love it when kitties lie on their back and expose their tummies!
    Dim Sim has become a big fan of drinking out of the bathtub these days. She will sit in the tub with silent eyes or loud meows until someone puts the tap on so she can lick it off the bathroom floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Kiki and Etta do it the most out of my girls and the warmer weather seems to make it happen most often so yay!
      That's so funny about Dim Sim! Etta definitely demands her tap water too!!

      Delete
  3. Gluten free is overall getting cheaper, but it is still so expenive! And sometimes it is hard to find vegan options (they use so many eggs!)

    But the pizza looks pretty darn tasty!

    ReplyDelete